Chapter 6

It took about half an hour for the entire pack to arrive

It took about half an hour for the entire pack to arrive. When the five of them had arrived, there were only few chairs occupied and two or three people loitering around, but in half an hour, the entire place was packed. Pun intended.

Since they were one of the first few people to arrive, they were able to get the seats in the third row. Maddy was about to sit down when she suddenly remembered something.

The books that Maddy had taken from tooth-necklace lady's room had faerie writing on it, just like her dagger. When Maddy stumbled upon the Faerie Realm, she had asked Ella her one and only ally over there to read out loud what the inscriptions on the hilt of her dagger meant. Without hesitation, Ella told Maddy that the inscriptions were some sort of a spell. Maddy didn't have the books along with her so she couldn't ask Ella about them. However, Ella did tell Maddy that the matefinder was part faerie and she was brought up in the Faerie Realm by her mother. So, the matefinder should be able to read the writing in the book.

Maddy abruptly stood up. After excusing herself, she ran back to her house. Maddy heard that the matefinder was going to leave after announcing who Xander's mate was since she didn't have any other task to complete. If that was true, Maddy would once again lose the chance to decipher what the writing went. Maddy entered the room where she had kept the bag which she took to India, which she still hadn't unpacked. She opened the bag and dumped the contents of the bag on the bed. The moment she caught sight of the two books, she grabbed them and rushed out.

When Maddy ran back, she saw that there were still many people yet to arrive. She was out of breath because of the run so she slowly walked to the third row.
As Maddy sat down with Leia on her left and Alexa on her right, she pulled down the skirt of her dress. She wore a pale blue dress that went a little below her knees. It was little loose for her, but it was the only dress that somewhat fit. Werewolves were much larger than Maddy so all the dresses in her closet were too big for her. Maddy suspected that the dress she wore was actually supposed to reach up to her thighs but Maddy loved the dress, especially the shade of the dress, so she wasn't complaining.

The moment Xander's eyes saw the book, he raised an eyebrow with amusement. "Only you would bring a book to a social event."

"Yeah, yeah. These books are from tooth-necklace lady's room. Does it ring a bell?"

Xander frowned. "Why did you bring them here?"

"I'll tell you later," Maddy said.

Few minutes later, Xander was escorted to the front, just beside the podium where he was given a separate seat. Since the ceremony was for him, he was expected to be in the front where he could be seen by everyone. Until everyone arrived, he sat beside Alexa, but once the seats started filling up, he went up to the front of the stage.

The seat where Xander had been sitting was taken up by an extremely excited Diana. Xander's mother looked like she was going to combust if the matefinder didn't announce Xander's mate sometime soon. Maddy was surprised that the Luna was sitting among the audience. She expected the Alpha and Luna to be in the front but the seats were taken up in the first come first serve basis and not based on the level of dominance.

The matefinder was the last one to arrive. She hadn't bothered to dress up. Her faerie-like glow combined with her werewolf looks made her look gorgeous enough.

Sitting among the werewolves, Maddy felt like the odd one out. Although she wasn't ugly, the werewolves' beauty surpassed hers by far. They had skin as smooth as porcelain and they couldn't get fat. Like they just couldn't. No matter how much they ate, it wasn't possible for them to get fat. Maddy would die to have genetics like that. The number of pizzas and burgers she could eat if she did have those genetics...

The matefinder went up to the podium and stood behind it. Just like Maddy, she took her time looking around at the decorations. Then she chuckled. "You really have gone all aboard for this," she spoke into the microphone. "I am sure all of you know what this ceremony is for. I am pretty sure Diana has already sorted out a room for the future Luna of the pack."

Diana blushed and grinned as the entire crowd cheered with so much of enthusiasm that you could practically feel the energy in the air. When Maddy glanced towards Xander, she saw that he was awkwardly smiling and fidgeting with his hands. Maddy laughed at seeing him like that. She knew that feeling all too well. It was similar to the awkward feeling when people are clapping and wishing you happy birthday and you have no idea what to do so you just smile awkwardly.

Once the cheers stopped, the matefinder started speaking again. "I won't delay the matter any longer. The future Luna is..."

The matefinder paused as the entire crowd leant forward with anticipation as Maddy held her breath. A part of her still had some hope. Maybe, just maybe, her name would be called out. Even though she wasn't a werewolf and there was like 0.001% chances of it actually happening, Maddy held on to that hope. As though the matefinder knew what she was thinking, which she probably did, at that moment, she locked eyes with Maddy.

The matefinder smiled softly before leaning into the microphone. "The future Luna of the pack is Sophia Clarkson." 

A/N: To all those of you thinking that it was Maddy, sorry not sorry. 😉

 😉