𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗: 𝐀𝐬 𝐅𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬...

Start from the beginning

"Regulus black is flying people! Has he seen something? Oh oh oh, he's going he's going he's going! AND CAPTURED! REGULUS BLACK HAS CAPTURED THE SNITCH AND UNFORTUNATELY SLYTHERIN WINS THE MATCH! Catch me next match. Different time, same place. And remember to donate 2 galleons towards buying Filch some deodorant! AHHHHH!"

The school erupted into laughter as Professor McGonagall pulled Greyjug's wand from his hands and dismissed them with a frustrated tsk.

As Rabastan and Rune made their way down to the locker rooms, she remembered that she had something to ask him. 

"Rabastan," she said gingerly. 

"Yeah?" 

"You can say no, but you know I'm part of Slug Club and all...." 

He nodded, "Yeah?" 

She pursed her lips. "Well, anyways... so he's having a Christmas Party tomorrow or something and I wanted to know if you would maybe want to come with me as a friend or whatever?" 

He stared at her for a moment in confusion. "Uh—"

"Literally just as friends. And you don't have to come if you don't want to, I was going to ask Evan anyways..." 

Rabastan grinned at her and shuffled her hair. "No need. We are friends. I like hanging out with you, Westwood." 

Just as Rune returned his smile, Regulus had arrived. 

"Let's go," he said gruffly, not bothering to acknowledge Rune's presence. 

"Bye, Rune. I'll catch up with you later," said Rabastan, following ahead behind Regulus. 

Rune scoffed at Regulus. As if he needed to ignore her. She was the one who wasn't talking to him. 

***

"You didn't get permission yet?!" 

"Shh!" exclaimed Rune, motioning for Evan to quieten down. 

Evan's mouth fell open, "I've been bugging you about it for months, Rune! MONTHS!" 

"Yes, yes, I know—" 

"If you don't come, I'll—I'll—I'll—well, I don't know what I'll do yet, but I'll do something!"

"Got it." She motioned to the couch. "Now please leave me alone so I can get ready." 

A slight smug expression crossed over Evan's face. "Oh, of course. You've got to get ready for your hot date."

Rune rolled her eyes at him. "It's not a date. I need someone to take and—" 

"Then why didn't you ask me?" 

Rune grew a shade paler. "Because the thought of dancing with you makes me feel sick—" 

"Yeah, the feeling's incredibly mutual—"

"And the thought of dancing with Rabastan is...okay," she finished. 

Evan squinted his eyes at her. "You don't... have a crush on him or something...?" 

Rune hit the back of his head. "Don't play too much Quidditch this year. I think you've taken one too many hits to the head." 

She shook her head at him as she made her way up the stairs and into her dorm. It was two hours before Slughorn's Christmas Party. Rune couldn't figure out how the 4 months had shot past so fast. 

She walked to the box on the edge of her bed and lifted the burgundy dress out of it. She held it in front of her body as she stood before the mirror. The dress ended mid-calf, and aside from the tule neckline, there was no decoration on it. 

It was the most boring dress Rune had ever seen. 

She picked up the note and tried not to let her anger flare as she reread it. 

Try not to be too disappointed by the dress, darling. 

I asked that it be made with the purpose of you having fun in it.

I can't wait to see you in Madrid in 2 days time.

Honorius <3

She knew he made sure the dress was made in a way that would leave her completely unflattering. It was a reminder that no matter where she was and what she was doing, she belonged to him.

She noted that her letter asking if she could spend Christmas with Evan's family was not mentioned. Meaning that she had no permission to go there either. 

It would have been time to let her feelings free, but she had a party to get ready for and whether the dress was flattering or not, she was going to have a damn good time in it.