Once broken, now fixed

Zacznij od początku

He shook his head. "That's just... That's f**ked up, is what that is."

I laughed as he started walking towards the door mumbling that our friendship has lost its genuineness. The smile was still on my face when he strolled back in a minute later.

"I hope your memory from two nights ago never returns, and you have to live wondering what really happened between you and Lilly number 2"

I grabbed my gun out of my desk drawer and fire a shot at the door just as he hurried through it. His laughter trailing behind him as he left. My mood was once again sour. I wanted to shoot something, preferably Mik, but I'd have to catch him first.

I was about to pick up my phone and call Levi to see if he had anyone that I could kill, but a call from Lacey came through instead.

It made me smile. Maybe that's what I really needed, to hear her beautiful voice. That would definitely make my day a little easier.

"Hello."

"Hello, my mummy needs help. Daddy won't stop hurting her."

The voice on the phone was soft and filled with fear. I was stunned for a while, wondering what little child was calling me, until I remembered that Lacey had triplets.

Faintly in the background, I heard Lacey screaming, telling Richard to stop that the kids were watching.

"You have to hurry! I don't want my mummy to die!"

She was crying, sobbing into the phone. Panic filled me as I heard my baby's earth-shattering scream.

"It's okay, sweetheart. Your mummy will not die, not as long as I'm alive."

She sniffled, "Are you coming to save my mummy?"

My keys and gun were already in my hand, and I was already heading to my car. I wanted to kill something, and God was answering my prayers.

"I'm on my way."

I got into my car and started the engine, speeding out of my driveway. When I got to the gate, I tapped my hand impatiently on the steering wheel waiting for it to open.

I didn't even check to see if I closed it properly as I drove out. My only thought was getting to Red in time.

"Do you need me to tell you where we live?"

She was scared, but she was handling the situation like a big girl. She held herself better than most grown men in what would be considered a terrifying situation.

"No, I have it already."

She sniffled again. "Can you stay on the phone with me, please?"

"Sure," I said, "I'm not going to hang up."

There was another scream and then little footsteps running. The screams became clearer, and my fear built as I heard what sounded like someone struggling. I couldn't hear her voice anymore. Running all the red lights that I encountered, I tried my best to contain my rage. Images of Lilly falling into the river filled my head again and I pressed my foot down on the gas.

"Daddy, stop! I called the police!"

Her voice was filled with fear for her mother, but also with confidence. I was proud of her because I knew that she just saved her mother's life when I heard coughing. The bastard much has been strangling her. My hands tightened around the steering wheel as I imagined killing him. He was going to pay for touching her!

"RUN!"

I heard her scream, and I swore because I knew that the coward had turned on the kids.