Chapter Twenty-Seven

Alessandra Drakkon

Queen of the Drakkon Empire

I stare down from my throne at the sorry excuse for a man before me, it had only been a few hours, but Dax Mcullah had been reduced to a withering weak thing, he was no longer proud and strong, but miserable about his fate, even now he hadn't stopped begging for his life, right before I would initiate the live videocasting over the public casting stream. "Gag him, I don't need people to think he doesn't deserve this fate, when in truth he deserves much worse for all of his crimes." The Solveig's I had chosen to guard the room were undisturbed by his pleads, they knew he had made his choice, and his death was the result, they had no pity for him.

But the other people under my rule were not so trusting in the facts, they liked to listen to popular opinion instead of the truth, meaning if I broadcasted Dax Mcullah pleading for his life, saying he didn't deserve this, someone would eventually say I faked everything and that he was innocent, I couldn't let that happen, not during this trying time of being at war with House Trennix. The executioner, another Solveig, Cyrall to be precise, was all too willing to shove a ball of cloth in the prisoner's mouth, he knew that this man was deserving of his punishment.

I took a deep breath and straightened my crown, I hated wearing the thing, but in times like this it was important to remind the people who their true leader was. "Begin the cast." A drone whirs to life, coming out of newly opened compartment on the wall, it films me first, not putting Dax in any of the shot.

"Hello citizens of the Drakkon empire, I know many of you probably think this is unnecessary, that it is too brutal, too graphic, but I am here to tell you one thing, this man deserves this. He was not properly punished for his crimes, because the proper effort into finding the real culprit wasn't used, an innocent man from another High House died to stop an impending war. This man here, brutally raped and murdered my aunt, Sylla Drakkon, whom I will never get to meet. His father used the money and prestige this empire granted him to cover it all up, to frame someone else for his crimes.

If that was not enough for you, do you want to know what this man used his second chance for? He killed everyone who helped him cover up his crimes, and then he continued to commit grievous sins against this empire. He has no shame or regret regarding his past actions, had even worked with two other High Nobles to try to overthrow me because I dared to free our people from slavery.

Dax Mcullah is not a good man, he deserves this fate, Dax Mcullah for the rape and murder of a Drakkon royal, for the countless other crimes you've committed against this empire, I sentence you to death by beheading." The drone switches from me to Dax, showing where he kneeled over a metal cube, Cyrall calmly steps back and turns on the plasma sword, covering it in a burning blue light, he raises the sword up, looks over to me for confirmation, a simple nod is all it takes for him to bring the blade swinging down, chopping off Dax Mcullah's head with ease, the plasma on the blade cauterized the blood vessels as it cut through him meaning there was very little blood spilled, even though a head had been cut off.

"Know this, I will not stand by while our people suffer, I will not allow the entitled to buy their way out of their sins, I will not stand by and allow my people to suffer while the entitled rise, I will stand by our laws as long as all of you will stand with me. We are facing an enemy that will not back down in the face of our might, this is an enemy that we have to face head on, the question is will all of you stand with me against this threat?" A small flick of my fingers and the feed is cut off, allowing me to breathe easily for the first time in what felt like days, I was always being watched, evaluated, my weaknesses catalogued, the Drakkon thought they had evolved passed the brutality that the Solveig's still had, but the truth was they had only grown better at hiding it, in the end we were still predators, and predators strike when someone shows weakness.