Chapter Eleven

Alessandra Drakkon

Queen of the Drakkon Empire

A week had passed since I had started the process of divorcing Cedric and he had yet to do anything, it made me both nervous and also feeling a little foolish. Nervous about what he could be planning, or foolish for overestimating him and assuming he would retaliate in the first place.

I gaze at my mother as she picks up her one bag, ready to leave the Alcazar and head towards the shuttle that would take her to the returning cruiser that would soon set off for Solveig again. "Are you sure you don't need anything else?" I wanted to give her something that could help her in any possible situation, but she insisted that everything she needed could fit in one bag.

"I've already told you Alessandra, all I need is a change of clothes, and my sword, no one will be getting the jump on me ever again." I frown at her, not really wanting her to leave after having just gotten her back not long ago.

"You could stay, send another of the Solveig's to do this." She sighs, dropping her bag on the couch before she turns to me, reaching forward she grasps my hands in a comforting gesture.

"You know I can't do that, this is something I have to do. I was their Queen until my injury, I need to go back there and make sure our mission of eradicating those vermin has finally been completed, and I need to find my Ikari, we've been a part too long. Besides you are their Queen now and you have duties here, someone needs to make sure everything is going smoothly back on Solveig, you will see me again daughter, have no doubt about that." I gave her a tight smile, trying to be okay with her leaving, going somewhere I would be too far away to protect her.

"I just want you to be safe, I can't lose you after I just found you again." She gives me a smile much brighter than my own, her smiles causing the scars running diagonal along her face to tighten and shimmer in the low light, the one across her neck moves with every breath she takes. She had remembered every scar and mark she had previously had and added them back onto her body, they gave her a realism that most people didn't have here.

They all looked like dolls, perfect skin, hair, and clothes, not an imperfection anywhere on them, but my mother embraced her imperfections, she said they made her stronger for being able to show them off with pride instead of making the disappear because of shame. Every scar and mark were symbols of the battles she had fought all her life to survive, to hide them would mean that she wasn't proud she had triumphed over every battle she had fought, to a warrior the more battles you won and fought the stronger you were, and my mother was among the strongest, she was a true Solveig Queen.

Resembling their warrior nature with ease, I was the daughter that had the same instincts but had to dress up everything behind a veil of Drakkonian elegance. "I am your mother, I am supposed to protect you, not the other way around. I know I wasn't there when you were younger, but I hope that we can have a good relationship now that we are together again." My mother drops my hands and fiddles with her necklace, the roaring silver Numar head a representation of their god Numa. She seems to decide on something because she stops fiddling with it and looks at me, reaching behind her she pulls the necklace over her head. "I want you to have this, every time you worry about my safety, all you have to do is touch this talisman, to remind you that Numa will be looking over me. He and I are good friends I don't believe it is in his plans for me to die anytime soon." She puts the necklace over my head and lets it settle against my chest, the ruby eyes of Numa glimmered in the light as if he was agreeing with her.

"Your majesty, the cruiser has arrived, and the shuttles are disembarking." Tendi's voice rings around the room and my mother doesn't even twitch, more than used to her by now. My mother turns away from me to grab her bag, I clench my fingers together, trying to stay focused and not beg her to stay.