Chapter Twenty-Four

Alessandra Drakkon

Queen of the Drakkon Empire

The outpost is there one moment, and then the Trennix cruisers approach the border, the outpost arms their weapons, ready to fire if they get too close, but there is no point because almost moments after the outpost readies their weapons, turrets pop up from a single Trennix cruiser and then they are shooting out a solid laser beam that slices the outpost into pieces within seconds.

"How can they have these weapons? As far as I knew Trennix hasn't surpassed us in technology for centuries, but this is like nothing we've ever seen before. They've solved the energy supply problem for the stable energy beam, if we tried that on our ships, we would overload the core in seconds and the ship would blow up! How could Trennix have advanced this much, and nobody noticed!" Caius was outraged over the retrieved video from a patrolling shuttle, the only survivors from that outpost had been on the shuttle at the time, a mere dozen of the hundreds that were stationed there.

"They couldn't have, not unless they were working with someone else, I've worked with the Trennix engineers before and they are no where near clever enough to come up with something capable of this much destruction, we've been working on that issue for years and still haven't solved it, no this is something different, Trennix must be getting help from someone." Octavian was quick to inform us that Trennix engineers were too stupid to come up with technology.

Something about it seemed familiar to me, though I couldn't imagine why, maybe it was from a movie I watched on earth and I'm just being paranoid, but I could've sworn I had seen weapons like this before. "We have access to Morgasian shielding technology so we need to begin equipping all of our outposts with it immediately, it probably won't hold off something of that magnitude for long, but maybe it will give the outpost enough time to fight back or evacuate." Octavian began typing furiously on his sheeve, no doubt working out the logistics of accomplishing that quickly.

"I've begun the process of shifting the positions of our outposts so that they won't be in the same spot that Aldrich knows they are, Cruisers have begun routine patrols of the border, and the planets closest to the border are either evacuating those who want to leave or giving those who choose to stay lots of supplies in case something interrupts the supply line." I nod, knowing we were doing everything we could to secure our borders, Caius more so than everyone, he took it as an affront to himself that one of our outposts had been taken down so easily, even if it was by technology we had never seen before.

"So far our spies have found no hint as to where this sudden advancement in technology came from, they say as far as they can tell, House Trennix is least a decade or two behind us in everything, that from what they've heard the Trennix military is forced conscription and that they're all severely underpaid, they don't know where the money to build these new weapons even came from, because apparently Cedric is in massive debt, his entire empire is." Narcissa adds to the conversation, further sealing the fact that someone else must be assisting Cedric, someone other than my father, because even Drakkon hadn't mastered something like this.

"The nobles have begun harvesting food early, just in case we need it soon, they are pooling together resources in the hopes that they'll get supplies faster, clothes are being made for the soldiers currently in our army and those soon to join." Taarique glances at her daughter upon that comment, but Arya doesn't take the bait, she stares confidently at her mother like she had nothing to be guilty for, which she didn't, but I knew Taarique didn't exactly like that we were using soldiers other than the spliced now.

"My factories are working overtime in produce weapons and astra suits. We've increased productivity by twenty percent, and now that I've hired more staff, I hope to double that by the end of this week." Balem was on top of the ball, he definitely knew what we wanted and how to make it happen.