Sixteen || Healing

~~~

Nightmare widens his stance. Although he appears to be confident, the sweat on his brow and the shaking in his knees say otherwise. His single eye flits across his foes, wondering who's going to make the first move.

"This is a bit of an unfair match, wouldn't you agree?" He says, failing miserably at keeping his cool. You let out a 'tsk' sound and Ink rolls his eyes.

"Normally when we're going up against you we have to take on twice the amount of enemies, so I'd say this is about right," Dream says calmly, loading another arrow into his bow. Nightmare huffs, remaining in his fighting stance.

Ink and you take off towards him in unison. Your blades chop off Nightmare's tentacles while Ink splatters him with paint, causing the negative skeleton to stumble backwards. Blue uses a bone attack, skillfully placing a wall of glowing, light blue bones around Nightmare. He attempts to break through them, but gets injured while doing so.

"MWEH HEH! IT'S A BLUE ATTACK, YOU CAN'T MOVE!" Blue exclaims.

"Shut it, you overgrown child," Nightmare growls. Your group freezes, all of you gasp dramatically. Blue's big eyes become watery and he covers his mouth with his gloved hands.

"Did he just..."

"He did,"

As you rush towards the teary-eyed Blue to comfort him, Ink and Dream bombard Nightmare with some of their fiercest attacks yet. The paint that was previously splattered on Nightmare solidifies into chains, he loses his balance and topples over.

"Don't you DARE insult him like that!" Dream shouts, clearly upset.

Ink raises his paintbrush for one final blow and successfully defeats the already weakened Nightmare. His single eye shuts and he topples over, lying unconscious in the mud and almost blending into it due to his goopy texture.

After giving Blue one final head pat, the two of you approach Ink and Dream to stare down at the knocked-out skeleton.

"How about I give him one final kick for good measure? Any objections?" You ask. A resounding "no" comes from the three standing skeletons. Inhaling deeply, you bring your leg back before sending it flying forward, it makes a direct impact into Nightmare's ribs. He lets out a grunt, but nothing more. Satisfied, you place your hands on your hips.

"I say we give him a taste of his own medicine and throw him in one of those prison cells," Ink says, mimicking your body language, "he'll find out how to escape eventually, right?"

Blue, yourself, and even Dream nod in agreement. With that, Ink grabs Nightmare by the hood of his jacket and begins shamelessly dragging him towards the castle. Laughing lightly, you jog towards him to catch up.

With only the sound of four sets of footsteps, you walk next to Ink in a comfortable silence. Both of you are striding noticeably faster than usual, the adrenaline still lingers from just moments earlier. Your shoulder brushes against his gently, but you don't bother to apologize. Ink doesn't mind this, a goofy smile appears on his face at the contact. Bowing your head slightly, you attempt to hide a grin of your own.

All of this is finally over, you're no longer in Nightmare's control. It feels as if a thousand pounds just got lifted off of your shoulders, you're free to do as you please for the rest of your days. And...you have someone to enjoy things with. It feels like a giant balloon is inflating in your chest, you can't contain your happiness. Burning tears of joy form behind your eyes and you blink rapidly to hide them.

"Wait! Guys!" Dream calls, "Where, uh...where did Cross go?" You freeze in your tracks, then smack yourself in the forehead. Ink scolds you for hitting yourself, but you're more concerned about the missing edgelord known as Cross.