1. Nice to Meet You

Author's Note: Just wanted to start off by saying that I can see some of you are going back and voting and commenting on old stuff and it is making me very happy. Thank you so much for that. Here is the newest one. As some of you may know, I enjoy dabbling in the medical drama world. I hope you enjoy! (Comments and votes make my day and keep me motivated 💕)

1. Nice to Meet You

Mitch woke up in a state of confusion.

No.

Mitch woke up numb, first.

The confusion came after roughly one minute of blinking in the harsh light, inhaling the sterile smell of what was clearly a hospital room.

His father's face encroached upon the blinding circle above his head, and the rays created a halo around him. He was smiling, but he looked terrified.

"There's my boy."

"What happened?" Mitch croaked, suddenly terrified.

He felt a hand grip his own, and he tried to turn to face his mother. It was only then that he realized that his neck was restricted with a brace.

Shit. What clumsy move did I make this time?

"You fell down some stairs, baby," Mitch's mother, Nel, whispered.

Yup. Clumsy idiot.

"Don't worry, bud. We're gonna make sure that they pay for what they've done," his father, Mike, chimed in.

"Wh-what?"

The sound of a door opening interrupted his thoughts, and a friendly-sounding man's voice greeted them.

"Mitchell Grassi, glad to see you up and at 'em!" the voice said, and its source came into view. The man looked far too happy to be in a hospital setting, but somehow his smile was comforting. "I'm Dr. Kevin Olusola. I'm going to make sure your stay with us is as comfortable as possible, okay?"

He approached Mitch's bedside and flashed a small light into his eyes. "Can you tell me today's date?"

Mitch hesitated. What if it was like... five years in the future? What was going on?

"April 16, 2021."

Kevin smiled. "Great. And who is that?" Dr. Olusola asked, pointing to his father.

"That's my dad."

"And his name?"

"Mike."

"Good. What's nine times seven?"

"I bet you have patients who can't answer that on a good day."

Dr. Olusola laughed. It was a comforting sound, and Mitch found himself chuckling along with him as he answered. "sixty-three."

"Awesome. And with your sense of humor still in tact."

"No. That's not true. Something must have happened." Mike interjected. Mitch froze and Kevin turned to eye the man next to him. "He was never funny before!"

That earned a slap to the chest from his wife, and the four of them laughed again, all tension in the room temporarily forgotten.

Kevin continued to laugh as he held out his finger. "Touch your nose, then my finger, with your index finger."

Mitch focused as he did so, watching as Dr. Olusola moved his finger in different locations. This was harder than it looked when you were afraid that you were dying.

He poked himself in the eye.

Well, that was embarrassing.

And scary.