Jamia seven

The invitation came today, and my parents almost laughed at it.

"Those idiots have the audacity to invite us again? After last year's terrible party? It was a drag, really." He says, to my aunt.

"We're still going though, right?" It felt weird to talk to them, and I doubted they would actually answer me.

"What do you care?" My Uncle said, right before he turned back to his newspaper and took another puff of his cigarette.

At Least it was an answer. Not that I truly cared whether they were speaking to me or not. But maybe now I could eat from the kitchen again.

I lingered for a moment longer and my Aunt yelled at me to go back to my room.

Maybe I'll see Belle at the ball. I doubt it, but maybe. I just want the chance to dance with her, or kiss her. Even if she hates me. I want her to pretend she doesn't. Just for a moment.

I walk up the staircase. I might as well buy a dress. Even if we don't go, I need something to do. I change into nice clothes and grab my bag. I walk back downstairs and leave. The walk is far but I know they won't let me use a car.

I had forgotten how gorgeous Italy is. I hear light music coming from open stores and see flowers of all colors. The purple flowers are my favorite. I see a bush filled with purple asters. Behind the bush is a large lake surrounded by hills. It looks straight out of a painting. I pick two of the flowers and put them in my bag. I don't know why.

After a couple hours I reach my favorite clothing store "Silks by Amelia".

The store is empty except for me and the man at the cash register. There's an old record player playing Giuni Russo and a distinct smell of citrus. This place hasn't changed a bit in four years. I like it.

"Hello, may I help you?" His voice sounds so homely.

"Yes, I'm looking for a dress." I think for a moment, "Dark blue, please."

"You know what, we just got a load of new dresses yesterday and I think there's one you may like."

He starts walking and motions for me to follow. We make it to the small back room. It has a huge mirror and there are cobwebs in the corners. Sometimes the lady who used to work here would let me in the back so I could draw. I found out she passed away last year. He shuffles through the clothes in one of the boxes.

"Ah, yes! I found it!" He says, proudly holding up a dress.

It's a satin dress, the color is deep and dark like the depths of the ocean or midnight. There is a slight glimmer coming from the bottom. It's a loose fitting dress with very thin straps for the shoulders. It doesn't have a big skirt and it would reach all the way down to my ankles.

"I love it." I say, "can I try it on?"

He smiles, hands it over and leaves the room. I start changing, I can still hear the light music coming from the front of the store.

I love the way it fits. I twirl a couple times, laughing. Then I feel like an idiot. It's just a dress. I take it off and bring it to the counter. He rings it up and I pay, grabbing an iced tea on my way home.