Kendra one

I walked back to my dorm from the library. It was 6:30 on a rainy night. The lampposts illuminated the walkway, and the moon was full. The air was cool, but I had forgotten my cloak in my room. I began to hear footsteps behind me. Worried, I walked faster, but the footsteps weren't threatening. So I slowed down and looked behind me.

Tall, with his dark curly hair and hands in his pockets. He looked down, focused on his thoughts. He had his cloak on, trailing gracefully behind him. The moonlight glistened off his pearly skin.

"Kendra." he said as he looked at me.

"Cadrian."

We stared into each other's eyes, each one of us telling a different story. So deep, so bold, so broken. Only a few inches were between us.

Only a few inches keeping my knife from his chest. But I couldn't do it here. I couldn't do it now. I have to wait for the right moment. When he lets his guard down.

My name is Kendra. I'm 17 years old. I live in Norwich, England but here I am in a faraway land for... schooling. My family is back in our palace, my father the king, my mother the queen, my brother the prince, and my sister the princess. The royal family of all of England. I may not be an heir to the throne unless both of my siblings pass. But that is not my goal. My goal is honor. My goal is to kill the enemy. Then I shall live the rest of my life how I please.

He's been my mission for 4 years now, and I only met him two years ago. I've been preparing, and becoming acquainted with him. Killing him is not as simple as it may seem. There are many... complications. He's smarter than he seems. And I suspect he's hiding something. Just as I am hiding my true intentions.

"You look cold." he sounds monotone.

I simply stare back at him.

"Do you want my cloak?" He asks in his slightly flirtatious tone.

I stare at his long, flowey, dark blue cloak.

"No."

He stares at me for a moment longer. I wonder why. Is he searching for secrets? Looking for a defect in my systems. Just waiting for me to slip up. Waiting for me to crack...

He walks away, with his hands back in his pockets.

I linger for a moment more, then follow behind him. The rest of the walk to the dorm rooms is peaceful. We know of each other's presence but we are each in our own minds.

I stop at the upperclassmen girls dorm, and he walks a little further to the upperclassman boy's dorm.

"Ken!" Belle says excitedly as I step into our room.

I always wonder why she is so thrilled to see me.

Our third roommate, Jamia nods to me from the bed. She's reading a book about astrology. The study of stars. Of the world we do not know. Of everything that we can not control. Of everything so unimaginably bigger than any of us will ever begin to imagine. Terrifying.

I look out the window at the sky. Then I remember I promised to call father. I step outside the room, and dile him on the telephone.

"Hello Father." I say.

"Hello dear Kendra. How is it going."

"Fine. Nothing's new. I'm hoping for a little... end of the year celebration."

"Good."

Everything we say sounds so formal. But it's how things are. The way things need to be. Especially since we're royalty. And everything we say is documented. Recorded.

I lay down for bed, Belle and Jamia are still talking.