Belle seven

I'm sitting outside with a book and Claud comes up and asks me if I'd like to go for some coffee. I agree and we ask the driver to take us to my favorite coffee shop. It's a bit of a drive but it's worth it. The driver will be back in a couple hours so we buy our coffee and head down to a nearby field.

I brace myself for another awkward conversation. I feel guilty but it's not my fault if we grew apart. Maybe we didn't grow apart. Maybe it's just because I haven't been here for so long. We just need some time.

"So, what do you plan on doing with your life, now that high school's over?"

"I don't know, I've never really thought of it." My family is so rich I won't need to work. And I don't have "royal duties" either. Although my family isn't overly fond of me, I know I'll never need to worry about money.

"I want to become a doctor. But it's too much work and too much money. So maybe I'll start a bakery in this town. A building just opened up near the church a couple blocks down. What do you think?" He says.

"Well, I think if you want it, you should do it. It would be nice to have a bakery, and you are a good cook."

He smiles, "Remember when we were younger and all the children would tease us?"

I do. Even our cousins would make fun of us when we were at family gatherings together. Everyone assumed we would get married once we were of age. But of course neither of us felt that way towards each other.

"Yes." I laugh, "speaking of which, are you finding a bride soon? I heard your parents are going to be upset if you don't get married in a year or so."

"I wish they didn't pressure me. But it's okay, it would be nice to make the bakery a family business."

Again we are in silence, and I look at the way the breeze moves the flowers at the edge of the field.

"Belle?"

I turn to look at him.

He tilts up my chin and kisses me.