Chapter 19

"Sweetheart if this is truly what you want it can happen, I can make it happen. I love you so much Alexa and I never want you to be alone ever again..."

Alexa's POV

I struggle to find any words as Lizzie talks, my eyes gloss over and I know there are tears threatening to fall any minute. She couldn't possibly be saying what I think she is right?

'She can make it happen', Lizzie actually wants me to stay with her. I know there'll be more to it and not as simple as my heads trying to tell me it is, my tears fall and I am still just staring at Lizzie praying I don't see any regret after saying what she just did.

I can't help but think about a very similar situation back in Florida, I need to know for certain. "You swear this isn't just another empty promise? I've had enough of them to last a lifetime." I say through hushed sobs.

Lizzie grabs me and hugs me in the tightest most protective hug I've ever felt and even though it's a bit of an awkward position we're sat in, I've never felt more comfortable than when I'm in Lizzie's arms.  "Alexa I promise." she replies kissing my head the way she always does.

I sit back up straight "Can you just say it clearly so I know I'm not getting muddled or misinterpreting"
I wipe my tears and ask Lizzie to tell me straight, I can't let my hopes get too high until I'm sure.

Lizzie grabs my hand and looks directly into my eyes. "Alexa Harrison if it is ok with you, I would like to adopt you."

There it is. There's the words I never thought I'd hear.

"Are you sure?" I triple check this is huge and I'm trying to process everything which as of late I'm not very good at. Lizzie chuckles at me "I've never been so sure of anything in my life."

Before I can even say anything Lizzie cuts me off. "I don't want you to answer right now, I want you to sleep on it take some time to really think about it and you can say no if this is not what you want. Nothing will change, I'll still love you and be here for you like now, okay my love?" I nod as Lizzie hugs me.

"Lizzie can I go and take a shower?" I ask letting go, I feel overwhelmed but in a good way and I do my best thinking in the shower, and I clearly have a lot to think about. "Of course sweetheart, I'm going to get my PJs on and read a book in bed."

They share one last hug before getting up off the couch where they've been all evening and head towards there rooms, stopping at Alexa's first, Lizzie kisses the top of her head. "If I'm asleep before you're out the shower, I'll see you in the morning nice and early for school!"

Lizzie smirks, bringing reality back into focus and lightening the serious tension. This is why I love her, she always knows what to say to make me feel better just like a Mom would...

Lizzie goes to her room and I grab my toiletry bag, towel, PJs and also Lizzie's sweater that I was wearing earlier and go into the bathroom. Turning the shower on I stare into the mirror.

I'm definitely awake and not dreaming right?

I get in the nice warm shower and just sit down, trying to keep up with the thoughts flooding my head. This is everything I've ever wanted it almost doesn't feel real, am I finally going to be happy away from foster parents who don't want me?

Lizzie wants to adopt me. Lizzie actually wants to adopt me. I cry hard, it's all I can do just let it all out. I look around me and see Lizzie's shampoo, body washes and lotions. This is real. I'm finally going to be part of a family, just me and Lizzie.

I look up at the ceiling and close my eyes letting the water run over my face.

I'm finally going to be happy Mom.