New beginnings.

Start bij het begin

Was it crazy of me to hold on to my sorrows, even though it destroys me second by second?

Was is absolutely absurd of me to hold on to everything in a chance to keep, even if a small part of my memory alive, of David, of us, even if it was just a lie?

I left the pen inside my diary that I had started writing a month back. It helped a lot. It was a better way to sooth myself instead of complaining all the time. Not that I did it anyway, who would I do it to? But it was just too much to keep in.

It had almost been a year, how long would it take for the wound to heal?

I walked down my big staircase with my hand on the expensive wood that made the railing of the stairs. I tried to feel its smooth surface like I used to but I just couldn't bring myself to actually feel it.

Half way down the stairs the lights switched on in the big open area at the base of the staircase- could be called a spacious room for guests if they had to wait, right after the entrance from the big doors.

I had grown rather accustomed to the dark in the past few months.

I squinted as the chandelier blazed its light in my eyes and saw a room full of people, or rather Vampires.

It took me a few more minutes to realize that they all were wishing me a happy birthday.

I seemed to be a bit slow again. But that's nothing new. I felt dead. For I was no longer the happy, exotic, vibrant girl everyone seemed to remember.

I met people I had met at my engagement ball. Seeing them flooded back memories that plagued my mind; unwanted ones of course. I'd be a masochist if I wanted to inflict pain on myself, maybe I was.

I met everyone sooner or later saying the same thing again and again. "Thank you for coming"

Although those words seemed to be the same ones I said last year to my friends, yet this time it held no meaning. A dead tone had settled in my voice.

Leaving the royalties for the last I made my way towards the King and the Queen.

The Queen, in her ever so welcoming and soothing voice said "Happy birthday dear."

"Thank you."

She just smiled a sad smile and the king said the same thing receiving the same reply.

I saw Lindsay standing behind them and with a polite 'excuse me' I made my way towards her.

"Happy birthday!" she hugged me.

I hugged her back. "I didn't expect to see you. How have you been?" she was probably the only person who I wanted to talk to in this whole room; particularly because I didn't know anyone else personally as much as I knew her.

"Good, what about you?"

"Great."

She paused. "Honestly?"

"Of course" I lied through my teeth. I had gotten better at it.

I didn't feel bad about it because to be honest I didn't really care or feel like I knew her well enough anymore.

I hadn't seen her in a year even when she tried to meet me. I just wasn't ready.

"Umm" she tried to fill up the awkward gap. "The Salvatore brothers wished you a happy birthday too. They wanted to come but didn't want to overwhelm you"

I nodded "I understand, give them my thank you."

After a pause I said "so... When's the wedding?"