39. Late Night Fears

Start from the beginning

"Carina, you're needed in- Oh sorry, I didn't realise that you were on the phone," Gabriella said as she burst through the door.

"Si. I'm just speaking to my Fidanzata and our Bambina," Carina said from the other side of the phone.

"Hi Gabriella," Maya said briefly turning her attention to the phone for a second before looking back at the road.

"Ah, Ciao!" Gabriella waved slightly. Maddie still wasn't the greatest fan of the women, but she did promise to make some type of effort after all.

"Hi Gabriella," Maddie politely said.

"I hate to pull your Mama away, but you're really needed Carina," Gabriella said apologetically looking at Carina.

Carina let out a small sigh and nodded. "Si. Ah, I need to go but I will call you in a bit when I finish at the hospital." She spoke.

"Okay. Bye Mama," Maddie said with a sigh.

"Bye, beautiful!" Maya waved.

Maddie was sad when Carina had to end the call. "I wish that Mama was still here in Seattle with us, instead of in Italy, with She-Devil," She mumbled.

"Mads," Maya chuckled. "Come on, we've discussed this, and you need be nicer." She stated.

"I didn't promise anything about when I wasn't speaking directly to her," Maddie mumbled to herself as she stared out of the window.

"Where is everyone?" Maddie wondered as both blonde's walked into the reception.

"I have no idea. Possibly upstairs," Maya said as they walked into her office. "You want to wait for me and then head upstairs? I won't be long; I just need to change into my uniform." She said.

"Eh, sure why not." Maddie shrugged her shoulders.

"Okay," Maya said as she headed into the bunk area to quickly change into her uniform while Maddie sat down in her chair. ""So, do you want me to drop you off at Sarah's tomorrow after the protest?" she asked.

"Sure," Maddie said in agreement. "I think that Sarah is going to join us at the protest as well." She added.

"Okay, that's fine, you know she is always welcome." Maya said. "It's the first time that you're meeting Sarah's mom, are you nervous about it?" Maya wondered as she quickly put her station 19 shirt on.

"A little, yeah." Maddie confessed. "I just want to make a good impression. Like, what if she doesn't like me?" She asked nervously.

"Just be yourself, Mads." Maya told her daughter and then chuckled. "Well, maybe not so much attitude but you have a kind heart, I'm sure that she will like you." She spoke.

"Only time will tell I guess," Maddie mumbled as she spun around in the chair.

"Okay, I'm ready. Let's head upstairs," Maya said as she walked out of the bunk area.

"That was quick," Maddie pointed out.

Maya chuckled and shook her head. "That's because I have had years practice now," She winked.

"I guess that's true," Maddie agreed as the two of them headed upstairs into the beanery. "Hey, guys!" She called out to the firefighters in the Beanery.

"Ay, Mad-Dog!" Jack exclaimed.

"Hi, Mija!" Andy smiled to the teenage girl.

"Hi shorty," Dean waved from the table where they were sorting the bags out.