Chapter 2: The First Experience

~Flashback~

Aria's time in the Glade runs smoothly. Some boys welcome her with open arms. A small amount of boys didn't. But she didn't care, she found the right company. Sure she was surrounded by a bunch of boys, but they grew on her. She soon became comfortable.

Alby spent a week finding the right job for her. A medjack. Aria trained with Clint and Jeff. She was a fast learner, didn't even need their assistance unless needed.

"Look at that. Our Greenie got it all down. She will be a favorite in no time." Clint jokes

"Ha. Ha. Funny." Aria says sarcastically

"Don't listen to him. But it's finally nice to know you without the running part. Gally has been interested in you lately."  Jeff organized the medicine.

Aria playfully rolls her eyes and went back to reading the medical book. Then, she was interrupted by a knock on the door

"Sorry to interrupt mates but we have a injured trackhoe at the garden." Newt says

"Alright, we'll be there Newt. Aria, do you kind staying here incase others come in?" Clint asks

"I don't mind."

With that, Aria was left alone in the medhut. She continued her reading unless someone came in. She organized supplies and restock on bandages.

---------------------------------------------------------

Minho peeks his head in as he and Gally bring in a injured Ben. Aria helps and checks to see what's wrong with him.

"What happened?" Aria starts wrapping the wound.

"I fell and hurt my ankle while running." Ben states

"You should be careful, Ben. Minho is already short on runners. And we all know no one would want to be a runner." Gally says

"Or maybe someone would want to? They have the skill for it." Minho sits next to Aria, her attention goes to him. "Aria, would you like to train to become a runner?"

"Woah, woah, woah. No. Minho that's crazy. She's only been here a week. It's a little early for her to be a runner." Gally folds his arms and looks at him

"I know, but Gally you remember seeing her run. She's fast, attentive and resilient. She even outran me. And I'm a runner. I think she has a shot of being one. I just need a keeper meeting. Tonight. She attends." Minho pleads his case.

The boys look to Aria. Gally's eyes fill with worry, he tries to hide it but Aria sees right through him.

Their eyes meet and Gally goes to her. He whispers in her ear. His breath sending slight shivers.

"You don't have to, you know?" Gally warns as he backs away.

Aria considers his words and Minho's. She also considers Ben's injury weighing in on the odds. Her mind was made up, now to deliver her answer.

"...I'll do it."

---------------------------------------------------------

That night, the torches were lit inside a hut for the meeting. The keepers of each job attended. Aria sits at the front, her mind wandering to other useful things. A hand lays on her shoulder, bringing her out of those thoughts. Her eyes meet a pair of brown eyes.