Chapter 14 - Unexpected News

Aria couldn't deal with the bickering of the group. She wasn't even feeling right herself.

"I'm not putting her in this!" Thomas shouts

"Thomas, she betrayed you! And she's our best shot into WCKD." Aria shouts back.

"This is the same girl that betrayed us, the same dick." Brenda says backing up Aria's claim.

"I like her." Gally says

During the bickering, Newt finally speaks.

"You're afraid of your little girlfriend getting hurt?" Newt says. Thomas stops and looks at him.

"We have a shot of saving Minho and you don't want to go through the plan because of her?" Newt says angrily.

Aria rarely sees Newt angry. Something was off, and she can feel it.

"Right?" Newt questions.

"Newt-" Before Thomas could say anything else, Newt pushes him against the wall.

"Don't lie to me!" Newt yells

Aria flinched and so did Brenda. Aria decides to speak up.

"Newt, stop" Aria says while walking a few steps to him.

Newt's tense slowly goes away, he backs up and looks at Thomas. Newt was scared and he walks off without a word.

Thomas was about to go after him but Aria stops him.

"I'll go. You stay here." Thomas nods and stays where he is while Aria goes after Newt.

---------------------------------------------------------

Aria follows Newt outside, he sits at the edge of the building. His sleeve rolled up and looking at his arm. Newt already knew someone was behind him.

"Sorry about my outburst. I wasn't in a good mood." Newt says apologetically.

"It's fine, Newt. But are you okay? You don't seem yourself while you've been here." Aria says while sitting down next to him.

Newt still looks at the view of the city, not meeting her gaze. He unwrap his bandage around his arm. "I guess I can't hide this forever."

Aria looks at him in confusion until she sees Newt's black colored veins through his skin.

He had the flare.

Her heart drops and her anger rises. She doesn't show it, but it's there.

"When did this happen?" Aria asks, her voice breaking

"I'm not sure, but I know it's bad." Newt says.

Aria thought about all her memories with Newt. She already lost Ben, Chuck, Alby, Winston, Jeff, Clint and Zart. She wasn't willing to lose Newt either.

"We will find you a cure Newt, when we go through the plan with or without Thomas, we will get you that cure to fix you. I already lost many brother figures, I'm not losing another." Aria says determinedly as she places a comforting hand on his shoulder.

Newt smiles slightly at her and looks back at the horizon.

"You always had such a fiery spirit, always looking at the positive sides of a situation. That's what I love about you. Even if sometimes you are a sassy like Minho." He laughs and Aria playfully hits his arm.

"Watch it." She joked.

"But thanks Aria. I seriously missed you. But if you so ever pull shit again-"