II - The Evil Queen

The day before

~

I closed my eyes for the briefest moment as the car came to a halt. When I opened them, the lavish front building of our grandiose university greeted my sight giving a bitter taste in my mouth.

I reached for the visor above me, and the warm light flooded my vision from the customized vanity mirror. I glanced at my reflection to see if there was any flaw in my make-up before dropping my eyes to my body. I was wearing a matching pink Chanel tweed dress and a tweed classic handbag. I finished the look with my white high-heel Jimmy Choo ankle boots. If there was anything that could lift my mood, it was the smell of luxury. And today, I needed a brutal amount of that.

Alyssa seemed to notice it from the backseat, but she didn't bother asking. I'm sure she's well aware of what day it was today, and so did Adam, who was sitting in the driver's seat patiently. They're probably waiting for my next move. So, with a final sigh, I grabbed my coffee from the cupholder before I held my head high and got out of the car.

There were plenty of onlookers in the parking lot. Stealing glances at the three of us as we made our way to the hall.

The smell of cheap perfume and hair gel were the first things to greet my senses. In a school full of millionaires, you would expect them to at least have some tastes.

The hallway silenced the moment they noticed us, replaced by hushed words and whispers. I'm the type of person who thrives in the spotlight. I bask in the envy of girls who roll their eyes at me. And drink every ounce of adoration from boys who worship me shamelessly for my last name. It's satisfying to watch them staring at something they can never have. Something they know only one person can touch.

Cameron Griffin.

We were each other's status symbols. The Golden Couple of Kleinford University.

We were simply inseparable. Cameron may have hated the spotlight, but I didn't. High up on the pedestal is where I belong. It is simply my birthright.

But today, not even all the attention can brighten my mood. Not when he is still lying dead with no hope of ever waking up. Today marks the ninth month since Cameron fell into a coma. And as the doctor told us, if he can't wake up anytime now, it is most likely that he never will.

And he better. Or I will crawl from hell to heaven just to drag him back.

We sauntered our way to the lockers, Adam and Alyssa a step behind me. But just when I was about to turn, a forceful impact halted my movement.

A certain petite body trampled down to the floor in front of me, bringing my coffee with her. It splattered all over the marble floor, soaking her blonde hair and hideous sweater.

Pity, I didn't choose a hot coffee this morning.

Just from the looks of it, I already knew she is one of the scholars. Why do they need to contaminate this place with peasants?

But I didn't care the slightest about the girl sprawled in front of me. I couldn't care less about the gasps from the crowd that was forming around us. My focus was solely on the brown stain on my Chanel handbag.

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

"You." My voice was laced with pure venom as I glowered at the pathetic being beneath my feet. I took a deep breath, trying to hold myself back from clawing her neck with my acrylic nails.

"Oh my god, I'm sorry Quinn. I was in a hurry. Oh god, I'm so sorry. I'll p-pay for it." The idiot rambled nervously, eyes wide from the realization. But I wasn't getting any of it. None of her apology nor money could appease the blood boiling inside me. She messed with me on the wrong fucking day.