V - McNuggets and a Thousand-dollar Cheesecake

"Thank you for choosing McDonald's. What can I get started for you today?" The machine voiced out as I finally got my turn after minutes of waiting.

I'm currently in a drive-thru alone, with no idea about their menus which I had to research earlier on. How can people stand fast food drive-thru and talk to fucking machines?

I closed my eyes briefly and breathe slowly to calm myself down. We're doing this for Cameron, I reminded myself. I opened my phone and read and glanced at the list I wrote earlier. Cameron always love these little oily and preservatives-infested nuggets that he buys in here. But I don't bother to tell him how unhealthy it is because I myself have junk food tendencies. Just not those little oily death traps. I learned in their website that they are called Chicken mcNuggets. What an adorable name for a very wicked chunk of death.

"I'd like to order a 20-piece Chicken mcNuggets." I answered the machine and waited for whatever supposed to happen next. It's not like there's a list of instruction they give you when you go to a drive-thru. What is customer's service anyway, right?

"Alright, 20-piece Chicken mcNuggets. Is there anything you would like to add?"

"No." I answered almost too fast to sound anywhere near polite but she didn't take it as a hint of my annoyance. Instead, she asked another question.

"Actually, we have a halloween special promo. Would you like to try our new Pumpkin and Creme Pie?"

I closed my eyes briefly and chanted a line from my meditation podcast. It's not worth it. It's not worth it.

"No, thank you. Only the nuggets, please."
I answered sweetly, smiling even though the only thing that sees me is a fucking talking machine.

"Okay. That would be five dollars. Please proceed to the first window." The cheery voice replied.

Who would know you can buy something edible for five dollars? Well, atleast Cameron think it's edible.

I drove to the window, and after another long minute of waiting, she finally emerged with my order. I was about to hand in my card when I remembered how much it is. As convenient as it is, I can't let a five dollar order in McDonalds ruin my credit history.

I huffed an exhale before going through my wallet to find a dollar bill. When I finally saw a fifty, I handed it to the woman as I retrieved my order. I placed it on the backseat along with all the foods I bought for Cameron. Before she could hand me the change, I zoomed out of the driveway and into the road.

Finally.

I made my way to my last stop before the hospital. I glanced at the checklist in my phone to see the last unchecked line.

Blueberry Chessecake.

I spent the whole morning baking him the only thing I ever cook - my divine lasagna which he loves more than me. And now, I'm driving all over the city buying all his favorites. If this doesn't get me on his good side, I don't know what will.

It's been a week since Cameron woke up and ever since, I've been trying to patch things up after the stunt I pulled in his very first day. I knew it wasn't going to be simple and that's technically the whole point of this. But after trying almost every possible approach and strategy, I still haven't made any progress. If it's even possible, I think he hates me more everyday. Well, boo-fucking-hoo, he's not getting rid of me that easily.

I even brought him his Xbox set up yesterday and all I received was a glare. How I would love if the pre-amnesia Cameron acted the same - not batting one eyelash in that demon-infested game box.