XII - The Conniving Love Birds

"Oh, Bella. What would you ever do without me?" He mumbled teasingly under his breath as he snuggled me closer to his chest. We were now laying down on the bed, my head leaning against his chest as it followed his breathing up and down.

Nothing Cameron. I won't function without you, I thought silently. Instead I answered, "Oh, I'll do just fine. You're not that special." I answered him playfully.

But this time, he didn't chuckle. He suddenly broke from the embrace and looked straight at me.

"Tell me honestly, Quinn. What would you do if we ever break up?" He asked directly. His voice held no hint of playfulness and his eyes was filled with anticipation.

"It would be hard but I'll probably survive, Cameron." My earlier intoxication had finally worn off because of his serious tone. "It won't be easy but I'll manage." I answered. But truthfully, I am not confident that I can.

"I don't think I can ever manage it. Because if you ever leave, then it will probably be the death of me." He muttered silently, looking deep into my eyes.

But I only chuckled at him before hitting his shoulder lightly. He smiled before taking me back to his embrace. He held me there for a while until sleep came to the both of us.

If only I knew just how serious he was when he said that.

~~

"Did you sleep well last night?" Alyssa's voice broke my stare from the coffee.

That's what you probably thought since you screw him in just rooms away from me.

"I'm still having an headache so probably not." I answered instead. I took a sip of my coffee which Adam gave since he made one for each of us. We were in her kitchen waiting for Adam to finish the toasts before we travel back to University. We have classes in 11 AM so we need to get going as soon as possible.

"Do you remember anything from last night?" This time it was Adam who asked the question. His eyes looked concerned making me curious as to what happened last night.

"Why, did anything happen?" I probably had too much alcohol given how my mind gets blank whenever I try to remember last night. I don't even think I can manage going to classes with this headache.

"Nothing important. Don't think too much about it." He replied too quickly with a grin. But it was too genuine to fool me. Something did really happen last night. Although it's not like I have the means to remember any of it. Besides, I have more pressing matters in hand, just like these two conniving love birds in front of me.

"Anyway, why did you sleep here Adam?" I asked innocently. If the two of them won't let me in their dirty little secret, I might as well pry it out of them.

"There was a storm last night. So I decided to sleep here when I dropped the two of you off."

His voice was calculated. They probably planned that excuse along with all the lies they've told me in the past. Aren't they just cute.

"Hmm.. really? I didn't hear the storm when I woke up last night." I retorted back and silently chuckled when I saw the two of them glance at each other after my statement.

"You woke up?" Alyssa blurted without realising. Dread filled her face before hiding it the very second later. I glance to her curiously, as if not having a clue why she would react like that. I don't even know why she's acting shy now, I've seen her shag half the football team.

"Yeah, I think it was around one o'clock, why?" I raised my eyebrow at her to feign confusion. I reached for one french toast in the table seeing how Adam finished them already. They taste good. Almost as good as Cameron's.