The Battle (part 1)

Is this dying?

Is this what it is like?

Is this what happens?

Do you freeze in time?

Does anything come after life?

This is neither blackness nor whiteness. This is what I see. I am seeing. I am seeing.

But I was supposed to die. I was prepared for it. We were prepared for it.

This is not dying.

This is being so close to dying but not quite going through with it.

My ears are ringing. I am still deaf.

Shock.

That is what I feel.

Confusion.

What is happening?

All I can see is Wymonds eyes. They still have life in them. I still have my life.

He shouts to me and it is like I am hit with a wave of noise that slams into my head and rattles my bones.

"Hilda!" I can just hear him over the pandemonium.

"Wymond!" We are still here.

Why? What has happened?

I turn towards where the King should be but he is no longer there. I scan my eyes over the crowd and see people everywhere, running, shouting, cursing.

What is happening?

I turn my face as much as I can over my shoulder and see that the Guards have gone. It is just Wymond and I on the stage now.

I struggle against the restraints, the chains cutting the gash on my wrist deeper; the rope around my neck burning my skin.

"Hilda."

I turn and look to Wymond but I know it was not him who shouted my name. His eyes widen in shock and he strains to move forward against his chains. I look back to where the voice came from. Ferox is rushing to me. I try to back away, scared that he will get the job done. Scared. Suddenly I want to live.

He reaches me and grabs the rope. I flinch. But he just pulls the noose over my head. He has keys in his hands and begins to remove the chains. I feel them fall away and he moves away from me. He does the same to Wymond. I just stand there. Shocked at what he has done. Now I know what those looks were for. Once in the sitting room and once in moments before all this - he was going to help me.

It all catches up to me as I see Wymonds chains fall away from him. My feet unstick and I hurry forward. We collide. Arms wrapping around one another. Then I remember his wounds. How painful it must be. I slowly let go but take his had.

"Go." Ferox says before taking off at a run across the stage and the crowd swallows him up.

I glance at the Hunter, my husband, we are still here.

Suddenly he pulls me off the stage and we vanish into the mob. People yell at me. Wild eyes focus on me. Some try to grab me, others clear the path for me. With my hand still clutching Wymond's, I am guided through the packed courtyard.

We make it to a clearing at the edge by the wall. I get my bearings and see that we are close to the dungeons where so many people are held below.

"What now?" I ask, staring crazily around.

In answer, an abrupt hush falls over what is left of the crowd. Now I can hear a strong female voice talking. I turn and see who, with her darker skin, I can only imagine to be the Queen of Oxbourne - Leoma Greenwood - standing powerfully on the stage.

"We do not wish to fight but if you hurt any one of my people, we will not hesitate to let our arrows fly. I, personally, come for one man... my brother. I know you hold him captive. If I could only take him." She pauses. "I do not have what you so desperately wish I had. You are a mad man." It is now that I see who she talks to: Father. "You believe a myth. You hold my brother for no reason. You lie to your town. Keep secrets from your family-" she gestures behind her and my eyes fall on the greatest sight of all: Lena. My breath catches and I almost call out to her but Wymond squeezes my hand, getting my attention, and shakes his head, quietening me. "So," the Queen continues "will this be done peacefully? Or will you be foolish enough to fight?"

Mythgrave's King looks around him, towards someone I cannot see. He gives them one nod before taking a deep breath before saying three sickening words.

"We will fight."