The Ball (part 2)

Having had a break I was now dancing with a fifth man!

This one, called Duke, had dark hair that was grown down almost to his shoulders. He had darker, more weathered skin from being outside for most of his days. He was a Captain. He fought in the last battle and was made a Captain by Father himself! I was looking into his emerald eyes and I was wondering what it would be like to love this man. Could I do that?

He is nice.

***

Thank goodness that was over, I thought as I collapsed in my bed a few hours later.

My feet were raw. My head was spinning. Was I in love? But which man was I in love with? My thoughts kept going back to Wymond and how he made me feel. Then again, my thoughts went back to Duke and his bright eyes and strong arms as they wrapped around me as we danced. He was a Fighter. He was the Captain of the Guard. Maybe he would understand that I enjoy being out and having my freedom. Maybe he was my suitor.

I jumped as a knock sounded from my door. Lena came dashing into my room.

"How was it?" She said in a excited whisper.

"Lena!" I exclaimed. "Its ever so late. You might wake someone."

"I was quiet, I promise." She said as she perched on the end of my bed. "How did go?"

"Great." I said tiredly.

There was a moments silence.

"Is that it?" She asked, slightly disappointed.

Should I tell her about it? About everything? It may do me good to talk about it, lay it all down and take a look at where I am.

"Come here." I said as I shuffled over to allow room for the two of us to lay down.

Once we were comfy I started to explain:

"I will start from the fifth man who danced with me."

"The fifth? What about men 1, 2, 3 and 4?" She giggled.

"Oh! Those men were no good!"

We both laughed.

"Anyway." I restarted, explaining all about Duke.

"Well, he does sound interesting." Lena said after I had finished.

"Yes, he is." But, I thought, can I tell her about Wymond? With a moments hesitation, I said: "but there is the Hunter from the town. You see, I met him a few days ago. I was riding and we bumped into each other and I get a strange feeling every time I think about him. It's like a pang in my heart, telling me he is the one. I know it would never work though - he's not rich and he is inexperienced with fighting - Father would never allow it and Mother would be disgusted that I was even talking to him."

Lena turned her head towards me. Then I felt her find my hand and she held it, letting my me know she was there.

"You must try to forget your feelings for him. You must try, or else this will never work. You and I both know what our parents would think and there is nothing we can do. Whoever Father thinks is best suited for you, that is who you will marry. In reality, you will never truly choose who you husband will be."

I squeezed her hand. When had she become so grown up? My little sister actually understands, so much so, she doesn't sound like my little sister anymore.