The King (part 2)

I must have drifted off to sleep because I jump awake at the sound of scraping metal against metal. Then there is a bang, a moments silence, finished by a blinding light.

I let go of Wymonds hand and shrink back into the darkness. I can hear footsteps now; the echo of the click of a heal on the stone as someone makes their way down the slippery steps. They are moving closer now, obviously reached the floor and picking who torture. I know about the torture because there are other prisoners - including Trystan - who I have spoken to. They are moving so slowly it is painful. The one sound of the click... click... click... has consumed all my senses. The person is in line with Wymonds cell now. But they are still moving. I feel panic rise up within me. What if I am taken?

Their footsteps have ceased. I hear the jingle of keys. Next there is the sound of a latch being swiped across and the bars in front of me swing forward. A dark shape moves inside and before I know what is happening I am dragged to my feet.

"Let her go." I hear Wymond shout as I struggle in the mans grasp. "Take me instead."

The man just ignores him and pulls me towards the stairs leading to the outside. I fight against him but it is useless.

"Get off me." I yell and I hear my voice reverberate around me.

I almost squirm free of his hands but I am prevented from running because his reactions are fast. Now his arms have moved around me and I am lifted off the floor.

"No!" I shout in his ear. I kick and flail my legs but it is no use.

As I am carried up the steps to the light of the day, I can hear Wymond shouting to me.

"Hilda. I love you. Hilda. Please, take me instead... Hilda-" his voice cracks and I can't bare to listen any longer. I shut my ears to the world.

Now I realize that there is a smell I recognize. These arms are familiar too. The mans build - I know this person.

We move into the light and I squint as my eyes adjust to the brightness. It takes a moment before I am able to answer my questions but when I do -

Duke.

I begin to fight again. What is he doing?

I look around me and see wooden stages with nooses above them. I see murky buckets of water. I see sharp knives, daggers, axes...

I am taken through a archway. In my view I can see the castle. The sun reflects in the windows blinding me. I turn and look at Duke. His dark hair is growing longer than his shoulders now. He has a short beard and even more creases on his face.

"Duke." I whisper.

It was like he had not heard me. He marches on up the stone path to he castle.

"I can walk you know." I say impatiently.

Silence.

"Put me down." I demand.

I hate how he is carrying me. I hate how close I am to him. I hate how because I am a woman I can just be picked up like this taken away.

"Put. Me. Down." I forcefully say. "Oh, for fucks sake." I cry and begin kicking my legs out again.

"Hilda."

I pause. It was not Duke who spoke but another familiar voice.

I turn my head slowly and see who it is just before they turn their back on us. Father leads us down the path and into the back door of the castle. As we enter, I feel the heat of the sun I hadn't noticed before leave me to be replaced by a chill, sending goosebumps over my skin.

Duke places me on my feet. The anger inside me almost doubles and I try to lurch forwards and lash out. I am tight in the Captains grip though.

"Now, my dear." Father says too kindly. "Why don't we have a nice chat and see what is going on here."

He is speaking to me as if I am a child.

"No." I say more fierce than ever.

But before I can continue Father signals something to Duke which obviously means 'drag her to my study'.