The Girl in the Woods (part 4)

Wymond's teeth were chattering as he made his way to Kamden's house before going to their new job. He better get a kill - or Kamden and him better get a kill between them if they want to remain in that job.

The funeral for his mother had been a small affair. He could count the number of people who went on one hand. Him and Kamden, Kamden's Mother, Father Nickolas and and old mad woman who Wymond had never had a conversation with who apparently was a family friend. It was sad really but Wymond could only see it as a burden off his shoulders: more food for himself, no illness to worry about and he could be out for as long as he wanted without anyone to yell at him.

Him and Kamden walked up the stony path towards the back door of the castle. When they knocked on the door, a wrinkled man with graying hair answered it.

"What do you want?" He grumbled.

Kamden cleared his throat. "I am Kamden and this is Wymond. We came the other day looking for a job... you did accept us." He added when the man looked puzzled.

"Well you better come in." He said, stepping aside to let the boys past.

They entered a small square room with a spiral staircase at one end and doors on every wall. There were wooden floorboards that creaked as they walked on them and there was one window that looked out into the woods. The servants obviously did not clean in this area of the castle as there was dust lining almost every surface.

"In 'ere." The mad said. He had a slight limp, Wymond noticed, as he pushed open one of the doors.

Inside there was a group of men, all dressed in dark traveling cloaks and strong, sturdy looking boots. They were cleaning and sharpening their weapons and hardly noticed the two new arrivals until the old man spoke again.

"Listen up." He said, not very loudly but the Hunters fell silent immediately. As they looked up, they saw Wymond and Kamden standing there, looking startled. "Dale, I want you to show these boys around."

With a nod of his head, Dale, a young man with red hair, took both the boys' hands and greeted them more warmly than the the other Hunter.

"Dale," he said, "pleased to meet you."

"Wymond."

"Kamden."

"All right." He said. "You any good at hunting?"

Wymond and Kamden looked at each other.

"I guess so." Kamden said.

"You will soon find out, I suppose." Wymond added.

***

Years later, the boys still worked there. They started when they were fifteen, just from watching the Princess show what she could do. She saved Wymond without even knowing of him - Kamden felt the same way. If they hadn't found the job in the castle, where would they be now? Both their fathers dead, buried in the battle field. Wymond's mother dead. Kamden's mother dead after finding out her husband had died. They only had each other but they were both saved by the girl in the woods.