The Truth (part 3)

On Storm, with the wind in my ears, I made my way to the usual places: first the clearing of trees deep in the woods; second to the top of the hill where we met once- even though I knew where they really would be: the lake. I could see it from my second stop. Squinting in the sun, I could make out six figures. Three horses and three people.

I squeezed Storm's sides and we made it to the shore in an unbelievably short time.

Wymond saw us first. He stood and ran towards me. I smiled as I slipped off Storm and fell into his arms. He was wearing his usual hunting gear but I noticed then that his hair was becoming longer from the first time we met.

"I have just seen," I said, in a loving and sweet voice, the only one I can seem to create when I am with him, "that your hair is getting longer."

I grinned at me. "Do you like it?"

I kissed him, letting him know I approved of the brown hair growing steadily down to his shoulders which was beginning to neaten slightly.

"It makes you look like a real warrior." I teased.

He put an arm around my waist and steered me towards the other two.

"Good news," I said, looking up to him, "I am not with child."

His eyes lit up as he smiled and told me that when the town is stable again, we can try to have children. My bleed started that morning so I had one less worry to stress about.

"What did you find out then?" Lena asked eagerly as we came to the lake side.

"Not much." I said and a wave of disappointment came over the three of them. "Other than the fact that Father is completely mad."

I told them what Ferox began to tell me and then what Father had told me. They seemed as confused as I was.

"There is one more point." I said and I told them about my long speech. "He needs to go. Soon. Or we are living in a doomed town. He speaks of uprisings - how can he ignore that?"

"He seems obsessed with this myth." Lena said.

I nodded and Kamden spoke. "Why does he want this creature - other for the fact that he thinks it may bring control."

"I do not know." I said, massaging my temples. "I do not know what he is thinking."

"He is ill." Wymond put in. "Could that be why? Is he going completely insane?"

Silence descended over the group. All that could be heard was the water rippling over the rocks and the birds high in the sky and trees. The salty air in my lungs helped to clear my thoughts and I could wonder about what options we had left.

I broke the quiet by adding more gloom. "We are going to have to kill him."

There was a mutual agreement and we knew that we needed help.