"If we get the crops cleaned and packed today, will you be leaving tomorrow," I asked Frederick as I pulled out another ripe radish.

"Yes, indeed, Emily," the black man answered me.

"Please be careful, won't you," I pleaded, "it's summer and the weather can be unkind. As are the animals."

"I promise to be careful," Frederick assured me. "I'll come back with new things for you and Lady Ruth."

"Someday, will you be able to bring us chocolate," I asked. The old man turned to me with a smile. "A whole pound of it," he said. I beamed and my elated feelings increased. I have heard about chocolate but I've never had any and it's horribly expensive. Our business doesn't pay us much to buy such luxuries but Frederick is a man of keeping and if he promises he'll buy chocolate, then he will. Someday.

"All of the radishes are harvested," I announced jovially. Frederick checked my work and praised me. "Well done, Emily. That may be a new record."

"Do you believe so?" I laughed. I picked up the basket of radishes and placed it with the other full baskets of vegetables. "We're all done here," Frederick said and stood up on his feet. He towered over me and stacked one basket over the other, then he tied them together so they would hold. He tied more rope onto them and strapped them onto his shoulders. He did the same with one basket and placed it on my back for me to carry. The both of us grabbed baskets into our arms as well, though Frederick only had me carry one while he carries two. "Let me try another," I insisted.

"No can do, little one," he told me with a light chuckle, "your little head won't be able to peek over the second basket!"

And so we walked all the way back to the cottage, being wary of the minor traps nature set out for us. We reached the cottage and entered through the front door. Ruth came out of the kitchen and greeted our return with a smile. I ran up to the tall lady and held up the basket of radishes in my hands. "Look at this Lady Ruth! I picked all of them myself," I said.

She leaned over and marveled the basket. "My, how incredible! But, your hard work has come at a price, my Queen." She brushed my hair back and wiped her hand on my face. "Your face is filthy with dirt!"

She leaned away and I said, "Frederick tells me that this is the face that brings pride to the working man!"

"Yes, and it also brings a bath to the working man," Ruth jested and gave Frederick a playful glare. "Emily, hurry and put the baskets in storage and come to me so that you may wash up."

I quickly hurried along with Frederick to storage and had the harvested vegetables stay there until Frederick's trip tomorrow. I found Ruth again and she had me remove my dress and she splashed water onto me as I sat in a basin. "You will look lovely by the time dinner comes," she remarked as she scrubbed at my scalp. I smiled and played with the water.

I was cleaned up and no sign of dirt was left on me. Ruth gave me a clean dress and bloomers and I wore them instead of the dirtied pair. Frederick also washed briefly and he came out looking fresh and renewed. Ruth busied herself by preparing tonight's dinner while Frederick busied himself with one of his favorite hobbies. I left Ruth to her duties and visited Frederick in a private room. He sat at a chair, carving into a circular-like shaped piece of wood. I smiled at his work and scanned the rest of the room to see his finished beauties. Frederick likes to make masks in his spare time. It was a custom that his family and his culture shared. The masks had astonishing faces, some were happy, others were intimidating, and there were the few that did not have a distinct expression. They were all beautiful and they were special because Frederick created them by hand and by heart.