"You're lying," he stated.

               "Am I?" she smirked.

             _____

              Elena was in an alleyway where Elijah was holding her captive. Although captive was a loose term; it was just really stupid to run. He had just gotten off the phone with Stefan.

            "So you get Katherine to give you the cure and then what?" Elena questioned. "Take it and go back to my aunt? Live a long, beautiful lifetime together?"

               Elena had thought and thought. The only reason Elijah would want the cure and leave Jenny to get it would be if he was planning to take it.

             "Once maybe," he held a sad smile before frowning. "But not anymore."

               Elijah honestly didn't know why he kept searching for the cure. He supposed he just didn't have anything better to do; and it was better than drowning in memories.

                "Where is Jenny?"

               That name put a stake in his heart and twisted. But he met her eyes with his own and told her truthfully, "She's gone."

               Elena had heard that phrase far too many times. They're gone, he's gone, she's gone, she'd heard it all to know what it really meant.

                "She can't be gone," Elena wanted to hope as she looked at Elijah desperately and her humanity was banging at the walls she put it behind.

                "I am sorry, Elena."

                Flashbacks assaulted her.

                "Okay, time for bed," Jenny stated as she led little Elena into her bedroom. The little girl ran into her room and jumped onto her twin bed, hiding under the covers quickly with only her head peaking out. She was scared of the dark.

                  Miranda and Grayson Gilbert were out of town and had the two teens, Jenna and Jenny, watch Elena and Jeremy. Jenna was currently tucking Jeremy into bed.

                "Nightlight! Nightlight!" Elena called.

               "I know," Jenny smiled and turned the nightlight on.

               "Closet?" Jenny asked and Elena nodded.

              Jenny went over and opened the closet, checking it for monsters like she always did. "No monsters," she said as she closed it.

             "Anything else?" Jenny said as she walked back to Elena.

              "Are you and Aunt Jenna like....best friends forever?" Elena asked but her r's were a little skewed.

            "Even better, sisters forever," Jenny answered.

            "So you'll always scare away monster...be forever family," Elena said before uttering a bit quieter. "I want you to be forever family."