Brother by Kodaline On Repeat

song: brother by kodaline

Miller's voice tears through the ringing in my ears. My heart lurches into my throat at the rawness and fear coating his voice.

"ELLIOT!" He screams as if he's being burned alive; like he's in physical pain.

I whirl around and my heart stops. The entire world slows down and all that's left is Elliot underneath a grounder with a blade inches from his neck.

My heartbeat thunders in my ears as I freeze, not wanting to think of the possibilities that could play out in this situation.

I finally find my voice and scream.

"ELLIOT!" I go for my gun, but find it missing from my belt.

I grab my last knife and throw, hoping for my aim to stay true not only for Elliot but for me; for the world.

What would the world be like without Elliot? I would lose myself even more so than I already have. My heart would blacken and my gaze would become cold.

Elliot is my rock.

Elliot. Elliot. Elliot.

The knife lands square in the grounders shoulders, but it catches in his armour, not even penetrating his skin.

Grounders run on either side of me, but I don't pay attention to them. All I can see is Elliot straining to keep the blade away from his neck. Away from death.

I shove my way through the sea of grounders, no longer caring.

In the background, I hear Clarke and Bellamy shouting to get into the dropship, but I couldn't care any less about that now.

Elliot. Elliot. Elliot.

The boy I've known since he was 15 and was put into the skybox for petty theft. The boy who had aspirations of becoming the first paid artist on the ark. The boy whose parents left him to rot in his room for weeks at a time. The boy who stole food to live.

The boy who is my brother that I never had.

The blood rushes to my ears as I pump my legs faster. Faster. Faster.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Clarke holding Miller back from running to his boyfriend.

I'm his only chance.

My muscles scream as I slam my sword through a grounder who was running towards me. Another second lost.

The knife is now inches away from his neck.

A flare of pain explodes from my thigh causing me to scream out in pain and fall to the ground.

A look down at my thigh and see an arrow protruding out of my leg. Without hesitation, I stand back up and limp over to Elliot, but I can't see him anymore.