I Am NOT a Dumbnut

song: rue by girl in red

I look around for Bellamy and, after a moment, I see him grabbing way too many nut rations for a day trip.

"Are you preparing to be out there for an entire winter?" I ask, coming up from behind him to grab two rations.

He glances over at me and I feel his gaze for at least a couple seconds before he answers. "Anything could happen."

He glances back down at his pack, while my gaze is glued to the side of his head. His hair is ruffled from sweat and his skin is tinged pink from the sun. His freckles have darkened from his time outside. I realise a second too late that I've been caught staring.

"See something you like?" He smirks.

My thoughtful expression turns sour and I shove him with my shoulder. "Shut up, asshole."

I feel something hit the side of my head and I look up and he is trying to hold back his laughter. "Dumbnut." He wheezes out, dropping another nut onto my head.

I shake my head and walk away with a ghost of a smile on my face. "Hey!" I hear him yell after me. "Wait up, dumbnut!" He runs after me as I collect my knives at the gate.

"Were you going to leave without me?" He says in a strange tone. I glance up at him with furrowed brows.

"What's up with you?" I ask and his smile falters.

He turns away from me and begins to collect weapons. "Nothing." He shrugs and I sense that whatever good mood he was in a minute before has come and gone.

After a moment, I glance down at the knife in my hand. "You look good with a smile, Blake." I tell him before turning and walking towards the gate.

"Open the gate!" I yell up at the two boys by the gate. The gate slowly starts to creak open.

With Bellamy at my side, we walk out of the camp with our heads held high. Almost immediately I feel an inch at the back of my head. I whirl around and glance behind me, feeling as if someone is watching me.

"What?" He asks, glancing around us. "Did you see something?"

"No." I shake my head. "I just thought I felt something." I mutter and turn around, trying to shake off the feeling of being watched.

————

After a couple hours go by, we are approaching the depot. "You know, the first dropship is gonna come down soon." I say softly, trying to persuade him to talk to Jaha. "Pretty sure you can't avoid him forever." I say, looking out into the forest. With my sword hilt in my hand, I felt safe, but you can never be too careful.

"I can try." He says, ending the conversation.

"The depot is supposed to be around here somewhere." I mutter to myself, looking around. I sigh, turning back to Bellamy. "Maybe he'll be lenient." I offer before popping some nuts in my mouth.