Gory Details #45: "The Pain O'matic"

Role players can be a bit weird. More than once, as young Monger, I looked around the role playing table and wondered how it was that this group of yo-yos, none of whom could operate a protractor, could suddenly know the correct number needed to hit an armor class zero or how many hit die of damage a fire breathing dragon could do.

I decided it was all about motivation. While no one cared what the volume of a six inch diameter sphere was, we were all deeply concerned about whether the backstabbing thief could puncture both of the knights lungs before the pompous ass could wake up and flay us all.

Since I'm deeply concerned with pain, gore and suffering, I've decided to write my own set of role playing supplements. First, how to calculate pain

The Great Pain-O-Matic Pain Calculator

One of the great failings of most role playing games is that no one gets hurt. Oh sure, they get the life blood sucked out of them or they burn in an unfortunate flame thrower accident, but what about the kind of mindless gibbering in pain that made the inquisition so much fun? Never fear, the Gore Monger's here.

There are three basic components to the Pain-O-Matic; the pain/time chart, the pain source chart and the pain multipliers.

1. The pain/time chart. Pain is very subjective. The same five year old who will shake off the pain of a fall down the patio steps while chasing a ball will be laid low by a stubbed toe on the way to bed. When using this chart, first identify how much pain the character thinks they're in on the left and match it with a length of time the pain is endured across the top. The number in the box where these two meet is the Injury Total (IT). Write it down.

Instant

<1 Minute

1-10 Minutes

<30 minutes

<1 Hours

<1-6 Days

=> One Week

An Owie

1

1

2

3

4

5

5

Ouch

2

3

3

4

5

6