Chapter 19 | studio

The sign above read;

Star-Beat Music Studios.

The studio wasn't a humongous one but it seemed to be very professional. From the outside at least.

There was no one in it when we pushed the glass door open. I was surprised that it was unlocked. 

 It was quite dark inside and the equipment was covered. As far as I could see, there was a recording glass room, and some instruments laying here and there. My eyes immediately searched for a piano. I could see its shape beside the side window. It looked like a big one. I smiled.

Standing there for a few minutes, I was afraid we'd find no one here when a man stepped out of a room. A small office-like room that we hadn't noticed in the corner. Rebecca almost jumped at the sudden appearance.

The man wore a casual t-shirt with jeans. He had copper hair with dark brown eyes. He looked something like he was something in his late twenties. He smiled when he approached the three of us.

" Hello. We had been expecting you." he said, " Except only one Sylvia."

I cleared my throat and raised a finger to the air, like a little kid. So pathetic. He glanced at me and smiled. Something sick sturred in my stomach. The man's eyes took me in, along with smiling so sweetly, that it didn't even look like a smile.

" Hello there. We've been waiting." he said. " Though we didn't know three people would arrive." I shook my head,

" They are just my friends accompanying me." I said. I looked around the studio again before dragging my eyes back to him. He held out a hand for me,

" My name is Charter. I'm the manager of the entire place." I took his hand politely.

" Sylvia Hale" I said, even though he already knew. Rebecca and Austin also introduced themselves and shook hands. Charter seemed like a nice man, except for the fact there was something not set right about him. He smiled too sweetly, gazed too intensely. Or maybe it was my usual paranoid brain. 

I really had trust problems.

Charter took me around the studio after turning the lights on. The recording room took up half the space. He said they didn't just want to produce audio here. Instrumentals were an important part of his music. He wanted new instrumentals and talented composers. I told him I would try my best. 

I didn't have much experience anyway.

Charter had no problem with that. He told me I had tons of potential looking at my covers I had made on youtube. I wanted to roll my eyes. They were nothing.

By the end of the tour and explaining, I found that this wouldn't be as hard as I thought. I would spend 2 or 3 hours here after classes and contribute my everything. They had many projects I really looked forward to. They were all so well developed. 

Any doubts I had of the studio disappeared. Even Rebecca and Austin were impressed.

" You're gonna be so lucky to work here." Austin whispered in my ear. I scoffed at him, but smiled playfully.

" Yeah. It's making me want to come here with you everyday." Becca chimed in. Her awe for all of this was visible in her light brown eyes.

I signed some contracts and papers after discussing a few things with Charter. He told me I could come here starting tomorrow, on Monday. They were starting their new project. I didn't have to work that hard, just get the essence of what it would be like here. I nodded and accepted the position. 

Shaking hands, we fared each other goodbye, until we met tomorrow. He smiled and told me he looked forward to it.

Charter was really a nice guy. I didn't know why I would've thought he wasn't. But then, I often thought of things as they really weren't. 

Yes. I did that a lot.

When we arrived back at the university, Rebecca told me we were going to go to a famous restaurant for dinner

When we arrived back at the university, Rebecca told me we were going to go to a famous restaurant for dinner. Just for the fact that I had gotten a job in a studio. She didn't accept any protests. Though I never made any.  I was beyond excited for it. 

After all, a week in Los Angeles and I hadn't eaten from an outside place. It was ridiculous. I really deserved a treat. Especially from one of the best diners around here.

***

While Becca told Isabelle about the dinner tonight and the reason for it, I decided to go visit Austin's room. He'd forgotten his jacket with me. I didn't even remember him handing it to me. It must have been in the car on the way back. 

Anyway, I had to return it to him. I knew his dorm number, so I ran down three sets of stairs and found number 201.

There was a small knocker on it like every room had on this building. I tapped on it softly, hoping Austin would open it quickly so I wouldn't see Brady again. They both lived together which was pretty obvious to anyone. The sound of the knob being turned reached my ears. The door creaked open.

The first thing I saw was a pair of enchanting deep blue eyes.

" Brady'' I breathed. As if I couldn't believe who I was looking at. His dark hair was combed nicely compared to his ruffled hair he always wore. In fact, I almost preferred the ruffled hair. Messy looked so damn good on him.

I immediately flinched.

Why was I thinking of what I preferred on him? I didn't care.

My eyes roamed down from his face and immediately looked away. He was shirtless. For god's sake. His lean body was as defined as I had thought. I flushed. I bet I was as red as a tomato.

" Sylvia." he stated with that soothing but rough voice of his. I wet my dry lips and looked down. Away from his body. Away from his eyes. They were too much. So much hotness, I couldn't possibly handle it. 

Oh god. Since when did I say things like that?

I almost flinched again. 

Swallowing, I fumbled for words. It was like my speech had disappeared when he appeared.

Still, I managed to get out what I was supposed to.

" I-um. Austin left his jacket with me. I wanted to return it. Uh, tell him thanks." I practically shoved the jacket to his face and turned away. 

I could imagine his confused face. Little did he know of what was happening to me. I took a deep breath and stepped up the stairs. His shirtless body couldn't be pushed out of my mind. 

I tried, I really did. 

I clenched my eyes shut, leaning against the wall of the stairs. Leaning my head on the wall, it was starting to flutter. As if I was in the air, like a butterfly. I put my hand on my chest to calm it down and resumed my way up the stairs.

Just before I reached the fourth level, I thought I heard Brady curse.

Loud. 

**