Chapter 18 | music contract

Tring.

Tring.

Tring.

I groaned into the pillow. It was a damn Sunday. 

Nonetheless, I forced myself to open my eyes. Sunlight simmered in through the window and I realized it wasn't as early as I thought. Sweeping my loose black strands away from my face, I sat up and rubbed my eyes furiously. The phone was just beside me, ringing constantly. I felt like throwing the phone down the building and going back into my covers.

Just as I saw the name, I instantly answered it.

" Dad?" I rasped, still sleepy.

" Hello Lia. Were you still sleeping?" his voice came through.

" Uh. Yeah" I admitted. I could hear him chuckle

" Thank goodness I woke you up. Me not being there is really coming to your advantage."

I rolled my eyes and smiled. I really did miss him. We caught up a little before he decided to come to business. 

His voice turned serious. I could tell he was about to tell me something important. Or ask me something.

" So you know all those covers you used to post on youtube?" he asked. I mumbled a yes. That was a year ago when I used music to cooperate with what had been happening in my head. None of the covers had been happy or cheerful. I never revisited them. They were all so very depressing. I wanted to focus on a new aspect of music this time.

I heard dad taking a breath.

" So I got this call from a studio in Los Angeles. They said they had seen your covers and that you had potential to become one of their pianists. Their contract.." he paused for a moment... " was a generous one. They seem to have money Lia. Lot's of it. And they're looking for new artists. Very new and talented ones." he paused again. Longer, as if he was waiting for what I would say. 

I said nothing.

" Lia, are you there? Will you think about it? I think this will be very helpful in your future. And you'll only go there after your classes are over." I pursed my lips. 

He was right. Studios of music were often a good start to a music career. My passion for composing and playing would come in use.

Though the other reason was that we did need that money. I knew that Dad's job was now unreliable in the money aspects. We had almost sold our house once. 

I took a breath. I wanted to do this, but there would be a busy schedule. There would be work on me. My responsibilities would grow. I couldn't be the lazyhead I am.

  Dad had wanted to wait until at least my second year to get a job. We must be very desperate if dad was asking me this.

" Hey. No one's forcing you. I will decline them this moment if you say no. And you have time--"

" I'll do it dad. I love music. I won't give up an offer." I said soothingly. A bit of doubt in my voice and he would surely call the studio and say no. I could tell he was already hesitating.

" Are you sure? I mean, this must all be so fast for you. And it'll be so much work --"

" Dad." I interrupted, " I can handle it, I'm 18." My tone was a firm one. 

 I heard some noise in the background. Maybe he was telling Chloe about my answer.

It was all happening fast. I was just as excited as I was worried. About how I'd let everyone down if I worked with them. But this was my whole life. This was what I had ever wanted. It was necessary.

" Ok then. I'll send you the studio name and address. Maybe when you have time, check it out." he said and added with a determined and sharp note, " And if you don't think it is right, or too much, you will say no or quit immediately. You get me?"

I sighed.

" Yes, your majesty. I'll call you soon." I said, Hanging up, I flung the phone on my bedside table again. Pulling up my covers, I tried to go to sleep again. 

However, for some reason, I couldn't.

Becca was beyond happy when she heard of the news.

" Oh my god. That's amazing. That's spectacular. See, I told you you were a great artist. I need to see your covers. How come you never told me about it? Fine. You little shit. But I told you you'd be famous." she said, rather confidently.

"I'm not gonna be famous. It's just a studio deal Becca." I drawled, getting her to understand for the fifth time that I wasn't becoming a celebrity.

"Yeah. Whatever. That's where it all starts from." She clapped her hands and bounced excitedly, "I'm so happy for you. Already starting to become the greatest musician of the century." I laughed, looking at her happiness. It was contagious.

" Shut up." I said, She winked at me.

***

We had decided to go check out the place today itself. There was no harm in it. Besides, if we could secure the job today itself, I would be able to start tomorrow. It was only a few minutes away. We still had to take a car though. And none of us had one, except for Austin.

So, there we were calling Austin Ashford to see if he could drop us by a studio that I was invited over too. He was as excited as Becca when we told him the news.

" I'll be there in a minute and 20 seconds." he said.

" I'll be counting." I said, and hung up.

Timely, we heard footsteps coming to our room.

I couldn't help but remember yesterday. This time though, thankfully, Becca was with me. It was comforting to have someone with you. Alone and trapped was what triggered me. Never had it happened with a person. Even if it was a stranger.

We all walked out of the building, almost bursting with anticipation. In fact, Becca and Austin seemed to be even more excited than me. The moment I opened the door for Austin, he had pulled me into a kiss. My cheeks were still red from that.

The porsche was waiting for us outside the campus. We all sat in and fastned our seatbelts. Austin looked back at me turning in his seat. He smiled his rare genuine smile. If I hadn't known better, I could've also seen adoration in his green eyes. But I knew better. And it didn't matter. Escape, I reminded myself. That was what this was, an escapism.

" Ready to go?" he asked.

I took a deep breath. I was finally going somewhere. My life was taking its turn. I would finally contribute to everything my family did for me.

I didn't care If I had to work every hour of the day.

"Yes." I answered.