15

I quickly pull myself together and get dressed to go get Jessie. I pull on a pair of biker shorts and one of Roman's sweatshirts. His smell always seems to calm me so I really need it.

I check the clock and see that I have around two hours until I have to pick him up. I slide into Roman's side of the bed and then turn the TV on to play my go to comfort movie. I go to Netflix and turn on Twilight. I know cringey, but I really like it.

A knock suddenly sounds at the door. I pause the TV and go to open the door. I see Jason when I open it. I instantly hug him and he squeezes me back.

"You're watching Twilight...what happened?" He asks and sits me on the bed. "The Blue Moon's Alpha is dead." I say trying to control my emotions. "I know, Roman sent me to watch over you while he is gone. He won't be gone long, so please don't worry about that." Jason offers me a reassuring smile, but it does nothing to ease my mind.

"Jason I'm not sad about him leaving.Well I mean I'm always sad when he isn't around, but I'm really upset about the Alpha dying. He died because of me. The vampires know that I'm being protected by us and our allies and they are going after them to send a message to us. They will kill anyone to get to me. This is all my fault." I sob into his shirt and I can tell he is at a loss of words from his tense silence.

"By protecting you they knew some lives would be lost, and they still decided to help. There is no way to predict death, so we shouldn't guilt ourselves over it either." Jason makes valid points, but the knowledge of this death still hurts me deeply.

"I should just give myself to them. Then there would be fewer power hungry monsters in the world." I say he moves back so he can look at me. He lifts my chin, so I'm looking at him and I see his eyes are set with determination.

"I will not let you kill yourself that way. They will use you up and move on the next power move once you're dead. Roman would never recover from something like that and neither would this pack. They care for you Val and are very angry at these low life vampires that will eventually just kill you. Nothing is worth their end result, so get it through your head that no one here will be happy with this morbid scenario you've come up with."

The thought of destroying Roman that way makes my heart ache in ways I didn't think it was capable of hurting. I nod and wrap my arms around Jason.

Jason always knows how to make me see things from a different perspective. "Thank you." I say and he backs away slightly. "For what?" He sounds confused, but knowing him he already knows.

"Don't play dumb. Thank you for giving me the reality of the situation. Your tough love is always just right." He smirks and squeezes me to his chest. "You're welcome." He says with a sigh.

~

After a while, it's time to pick up Jessie. I slip a pair of sneakers on and grab my purse. Jason turns off the TV and follows me out to the living room. "Liv! Anthony! Time to go!" I yell and after a minute I hear a rumbling of their feet running down the stairs.

"We are going to the park after picking up Jessie, and they are going to an ice cream shop across the street while we are there." I explain and Jason nods. Jason's total attitude has changed towards me now. Usually I get the goofy best friend from him, but now he has turned into the stoic guardian type. Which I don't mind knowing people of all sorts are out to get me.

We walk out to my car and all pile in. The short drive is completely silent, and is definitely awkward. I try making conversation, but it ends up failing and making the car ride even more embarrassing.

When we get to the daycare, a line of cars have already beat us to the front of the building. I park and Jason gets out with me. Liv and Anthony stay in the car and as we leave, I catch a glimpse of them kissing already. "What a bunch of horndogs." Jason laughs already knowing what I'm talking about.