Chapter 19: A Place to Stay

"You have more of that here than you would have doing private medical work with no skill."

I stared at Charlie for a moment, trying to remain calm. He held eye contact, his jaw set. I took a deep breath and nodded, standing up from the couch.

"Thanks for being honest."

"Y/N, come on," he said and stood up to follow me. "You know I didn't mean it like that."

"I don't know what you mean anymore. Half the time you preach that I'm the best healer in the sanctuary and that I'm indispensable, and the other half, you tell me I have no skill," I said quietly, keeping my voice level. "I am extremely upset with you. I think that you're being harsh and inconsiderate."

I made my way into the bedroom and grabbed a bag, shoving some of my clothes into it.

"Y/N, don't be like that," he said. "Let's talk about this."

"No, because I'm doing all I can to keep from yelling and crying right now and that won't make the situation any better. I'm going to find somewhere to stay for a little bit so that I can calm down and figure this out on my own," I explained and went into the bathroom, Charlie on my heels.

"I'll give you space. Just stay here."

"No, you didn't get any sleep last night. Get some sleep and enjoy your day off," I said and packed my toothbrush. "I don't want this to ruin your day."

"You're making me seem like the bad guy here."

"That's because, in this instance, you are, Charles. You were out of line and you still are, acting like what I'm doing is unthinkable. I don't want to do this right now and I wish you'd respect that," I said.

"Alright," he said and took a step back. "I'm sorry."

"I'm going to go see if I can find someone to stay with for the night so that I can think this through."

"Is there anything I can do to make this better?"

"Think about what you said to me today and come up with an explanation for why you felt the need to say it," I said. "If that's what you really think, then fine. But if not, then I hope you'll explain yourself."

There was a part of me that wanted to stay. But I knew that it wouldn't be comfortable. It would be tense and we would likely get into a fight. I didn't like to fight with Charlie, especially since I knew myself. I knew that I said things in the moment. I didn't ever think before I spoke when I was feeling emotional, whether the emotions were positive or negative. When they were negative, however, I tended to say things that I didn't mean.

After all of my things were packed, I shouldered my bag and left the cabin. I didn't know where to go. Even when Charlie and I got mad at each other, we never had felt the need to separate ourselves so badly that one of us left for longer than the time it took to take a walk. Once I was outside, I let go of the emotion I was holding in. Charlie's words hurt.

They hurt because his opinion meant so much to me and because I respected and admired him so much. I wanted him to feel the same about me and it hurt to know that he didn't. I wanted to believe that he didn't mean the things that he had said about my lack of skill, but I was insecure about my skills because of my failure to save a patient just a little while before.

It always hurts to know that a person you admire doesn't feel the same way about you.

I sniffled and tried to hold back tears that threatened to fall as I remembered his words. Three years of work, and he believed I had no skill? Maybe I didn't. I had lost a patient.