Chapter 8: The Village

"Dumbledore just wrote," I told Charlie as I approached him in the kitchen. "Harry's been moved to safety... his birthday's coming up soon, by the way. Should we send him something?"

"We could, although the kid never asks for a thing. I don't really know what he'd like," Charlie said. "Did Dumbledore say where he is?"

"No," I said as I scanned over the letter another time. "I'm guessing he didn't want the letter intercepted. Maybe we can send him something from here. You know, like a dragony sort of deal."

"Dragony?" Charlie asked bemusedly and grabbed the letter from my hand. "I suppose I could find something but we'd have to send it to the school if we don't know where he is. It'd be way late."

"Or we could send it to Dumbledore to pass on."

"You're a genius," Charlie said and leaned to press a kiss to my forehead before he ignited the letter and let it burn in the sink. "I'll find something."

"Maybe I'll go into town to get something."

"With a chaperone?"

"With a chaperone," I confirmed with a wrinkle of my nose. "You know, I think Fatima and I are going to town at some point this week. She needs to get something for Alcott. I guess their anniversary is rapidly approaching."

"Anniversaries," he muttered to himself with a look of scorn on his face. "I don't like anniversaries. Or birthdays. They're too difficult to remember."

"Yes, of course, because they happen so randomly," I teased and watched as he took care of the ashes that laid in the bottom of the sink.

"You're a piece of work today, huh?" he asked and grinned as he washed his hands of the ash. "What's got you so lively?"

"This lovely world we live in," I answered dryly. "Can't I ruthlessly taunt you without suspicion?"

Charlie raised his eyebrows and dried his hands on a towel before leaning on the counter behind him.

"Well, my love," he said, "I would love to go get some dinner with you before you have to work."

"Would you?" I asked and turned away from him.

"I would. I'd get you some dessert as a settlement," he said.

"You ruthless bastard, I'm in," I said and pointed at him. "Let me grab my shoes."

"Take your time," he said and winked at me before disappearing through the doorway. I went in the opposite direction to get ready.

After I had pulled my shoes on, I followed after Charlie and found him waiting by the door.

"Let's go, big boy," I said and opened the door, holding it open for him to pass through. He did so with a 'thank you', and then locked the door behind me.

"I figure we could go into town for a change. I know how much you and Daniel abhor each other," he said with a teasing grin as we started walking to the town.

"He's the human incarnation of the devil," I hissed.

"Just because he won't let you in the kitchen?"

"Don't question me," I said simply and shook my head. "Danny's a brat. And he has a goatee, no mustache. Can you really trust a guy with a goatee? The correct answer is yes, you can as long as they also have a mustache. If it's just on the chin, they're literally the villain."

"Hey, I get it," he said and held his hands up in surrender. "Goatees are not your thing."

"You'd probably look hot with a goatee," I commented and looked at him. His hand flew to his beard, almost protectively.