32

*Jared's POV*

~~~ Junior Year, April 5, 2021 ~~~

Walking Persephone home from school, I used her tiny umbrella to hide the both of us from the pouring rain. I still couldn't drive because of my arm, plus my cousin had to borrow my car. We had a rough day at school, and even though she would Facetime me to make sure I was doing my homework, I couldn't give two shits.

"You okay, J?" She rests her arms around my shoulders and asks me, concerned. I would think of what to say, but her long eyelashes fluttering in front of her big, hazel eyes gets me thinking of other things.

"Yeah, it's just, shit's fucked up right now," She grabs my hands and gives me her classic puppy-dog eyes. Those eyes read, 'What do you mean?' So, I answer.

"All our tests, combined with the pressure for both basketball and football, it's just so much," I tell her how I feel. The look in her eyes somehow read, 'I don't believe you'.

"Come on, J, I know you better than anyone. You're thinking about Calvin. You want to know the truth. It's all you put your mind to nowadays." She explains. I knew the gang and I agreed not to tell anyone outside of our circle, but of course, I would tell my girlfriend. I'm sure Persephone has heard about solving the mystery from Deliah, too.

"Maybe a small part of me thought that this random group of us could rely on each other when it mattered most," I reveal. She grins. Confused, I began wondering what was making her smile.

"Are you saying this somehow brought you guys all together?" She questions. I didn't want to admit it, but she was right. In some sick, messed up way, experiencing the guilt and tension of trying to avenge the death of one of my best friends feels just a little bit better knowing I would not be alone.

"No, no that's not it." I deny. Even though I confided in Persephone about everything, it still felt weird. Before she could kiss me one last time, her dad opened the front door, looking pissed off.

"Alright then. What're you going to do now?" She asks me. I haven't really thought about it. I didn't expect her to be taking care of me so much right now, she had shit going on at home. Home invasion, or robbery? Or something like that.

"Dunno. Oh, right! There's a party Vincent invited me to-" Before I can finish, P glares at me with her standard 'Go home, Study!' face.

"That I shall not attend," I say. She rolls her eyes before grabbing her bag off my shoulder.

"Oh, babe! Remember those guys who came and fucked up the house, while the car parked outside was actually registered to Be-" Persephone's dad comes out of the house and loudly clears his throat, meaning it was time to go.

"I'll call you later, okay? Be safe, I love you." Persephone kisses me and waves goodbye, slowly walking to her front door and defying her father. He glares at me one last time while I stand alone in the rain. It was cold. I thought I wanted to go home but at the same time, I felt like doing something productive today. Maybe I will go to that party. I whip out my phone to check the last texts Vincent and I had to look for the address.

I scroll through my messages for a couple of seconds, and eventually, I find the address.

"9 Privet Road. Hey, that's pretty close to me." I say in my head. Guess it wouldn't be a problem that I didn't have my car. I whistle a tune, strolling through our town with my hands in my pockets. Some EDM music could be heard from a distance, I deduced that I was close by. I decide to call Vincent so that he could bring me in, instead of having to wander into the house myself.

Fuck. No response. It goes straight to voicemail. Nah. Who am I kidding? This wouldn't stop me. I still hadn't gotten that call P promised me, and the boys weren't looking to spend any time with me either. As I got closer to the big brick house, I had to steer clear of the crowd so that nobody would nudge into my arm. I didn't know anyone there. I looked for the nearest beer while exchanging awkward smiles.