3

*Zach's POV*

~~~ Summer Break, September 1, 2020 ~~~

It's the first day of September. I roll out of bed alarmed by the constant vibrating on my cellphone. I look at it to see many missed calls.

"Zach! Get your ass out of bed." My dad exclaims from the other room. I wipe the drool off my face, knocking over several bottles of beer by my bedside as I sit up.

"Zach! Jared's waiting for you. Get up, come on!" My mom chastises me, clearing the trash without noticing I was already awake.

"Zach! Oh, sorry, honey. Jared's outside, you wanna let him in for me?" I rub my eyes to see better. I open the front door to see my best friend since freshman year, Jared Liu.

"You're still in your goddamn pajamas. We were supposed to play ball remember?" He complained.

"Shit, yeah, my, my bad," I mumble. I was so hungover I couldn't even think straight. I gesture to my living room, letting Jared come in.

"Just give me a minute," I tell him with a more lively tone as I grab some orange juice and milk from the fridge and cereal to eat and drink.

"Oh, no thanks man, I'm good." Jared looked distasted.

"It's for me, asshole," I reply as I head to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

"Wha- what the hell man! The boys are already waiting at the court. you're taking goddamn ages to get ready." Jared seemed to be in a bad mood.

"Could you just shut the hell up for 2 seconds? Jesus." I started getting agitated.

"Let's go. now." Jared says for the last time. I bid farewell to my parents sitting silently by the sofa as Jared opens the door.

"Morning assholes!" It's Ben. Sitting by his silver ford mustang.

"Yeah, we were gonna jog to the park." Jared, already fed up with the morning but also seeing the opportunity to not be late to the court.

"Suit yourselves." Ben enters the shotgun seat. Jared looks on, confused.

"What're you- who the fuck's gonna drive then?" Jared says, still confused. I toss my ball to the back seat and jump into the driver's seat.

"I know you oh, too well, friend," Ben smirks. I start the car and speed off.

"Hey! What the fuck!" Jared runs after us.

~~~ Present day, Junior Year, September 21 ~~~

"Fuck you, Ferrera!" Ben continuously throws down punches on the bloodied senior Ronald Ferrera as he somehow manages to hold off Ronald's minions. I stop to see the carnage, but it seemed like Ben would manage to hold off on his own, until Kevin Sanders knocked a fire extinguisher over his head.

~~~ Summer Break, September 1 ~~~

"How are you and Alicia?" Ben asks. I ignore him. He knew it was too early for "interview with Ben" time and I never enjoy opening up anyway. I notice the crossroads and drive the long way from the park. I pass Alicia's house.

"Simp." Ben jokes. I slow down as I see her open her door to take out the trash. She doesn't seem to notice me.

"Why don't you say hi?" Ben asks while I don't stop looking at Alicia.

"She seems so peaceful in the morning. I don't wanna disturb that," I answer. I recall the reason for the drive and proceed to drive back to the court. as we get there, I see Morty, Calvin, Isaiah, and Jared already getting shots up.

"Damn, Jared. What kind of breakfast you have today?" Ben chuckles as Jared pants like a dog. I leave my phone by the bench as I cup hands with all my friends. I knew Jared and Isaiah from a tournament back in middle school, I managed to make their dynamic duo a terrific trio despite them knowing each other since the 3rd grade. I befriended Morty, Ben, and Calvin in our freshman year. We hung out a ton until I got caught up with my dad and brother's gang, the silver crescents.