2

*Alicia's POV*

~~~ First day of Junior Year, September 21, 2020 ~~~

"What the hell is going on?" I think to myself. I follow the crowd to the school gym as I brush past my sister. Sorry, half-sister. The majority of my childhood was spent without Kirah, only because her dad died. My dad walked out on us right after my mother birthed me just 10 months after conceiving Kirah. Guess she was eager or something.

I sit next to a trusted friend of mine, Mordecai, or as I personally like to call him, Morty.

"Hey, you doing fine?" He asks me as I take off my earphones.

"Yeah, why?" I promptly reply, trying to avoid any small talk this early in the day.

"Your ear okay?" I ask after noticing that his injury was still recovering. Out of the blue, principal Chester taps his microphone.

"Despite this tragic accident we've faced this morning, we will try to go through the day smoothly. After today we will do our best to install a system to get all of you on flexible schedules." Principal Chester announces this, more nervous than usual.

Then I began to think, why just us juniors? I look around to see many cliques sitting together. Zach distanced himself from his usual trio of Ben and Jared, with the rest of 'the boys', Isaiah, Aaron, Josh and Melvin. The only one missing was Calvin. Then, I spot Alexis and Emilia, sitting with their boyfriends, Vincent and Robert respectively. I was pretty shocked to see them without Jillian, their other best friend. Robert sat above and behind Emilia, holding her close. Why would Emilia wanna date Robert? He's molested, hurt girls and besides that is just a straight-up asshole. My attention turned to my sister sitting with, well, nobody, which was surprising considering she won student council president. I then notice a new student, sitting with Jillian, and her three former best friends, Samantha, Lisa and Quinn.

"You hear from Calvin at all?" Morty asks me. From the other students, I turn and look immediately at Morty's face. He looked concerned.

"Uh, no, not since the final," I inform him. The final was Benjamin van de Vaart's last party before summer ended. His parents weren't home and he decided to throw one last hurrah for the sophomore class of 2020 the second to last night before school started. It was pretty epic but it went downhill as the night progressed. There was a brawl, drunkards jumping off roofs, and lots of sex. At least from what I heard.

"You are all here for the same reason." Principal Chester's voice booms all of the sudden, clearing out all the chatters of the students.

"We suspect that the reason for the school bell's descent is in this room right now." more chattering began to be heard, and it only got louder and louder.

"Another matter. We uh, have some more news for you." Principal Chester said to everyone, with his expression looking more disheartened.

"Your classmate, Calvin Chambers. He was seen out at a party two days ago. He did not return home and has not been seen since. If any of you know anything relating to this please let us know as soon as possible. You can meet me in my office or any of your teachers. The police and the Chambers' family have been informed and they are already looking into this missing person's case." Students start to look at other students.

"In the meantime, please focus on school. It will be difficult as we all know how much of an impact he has on the school's community. We will do our best to find him. Meanwhile, please continue to be on your best behaviour and to maintain your high-scoring grades.

I freeze. I notice Jillian beginning to cry. Morty puts his arm around me as I start to tear up too. We had a rocky end, but he will always be my best friend. I have to find him. I wipe my tears away and turn to Morty.