30

*Delilah's POV*

~~~ Junior Year, March 26, 2021 ~~~

"N! E, W! N, E, W, A, R, K!" I cheer along with the rest of the squad for the volleyball team. Our team were missing a few girls because the Lopéz sisters, and some other girls were playing for the school. We shake our pom-poms, while the crowd goes wild for the team. Our cheers and cheers get less enthusiastic, as the team gets annihilated in the game. The lopsided score discourages the whole team, and the coach struggles to uplift the players.

"It's okay, you all did your best. That's what's important." My extremely optimistic sister says. Some of the guys come down to the court floor, probably expressing their joy for the girls who made it far in the volleyball tournament.

"Cheerleaders did pretty great, too," Jared says to all of us, before kissing Persephone. I roll my eyes, the team ignore it, disrespected at the fact their efforts were ignored. The awkward silence leads me to notice the small disputes between the guys and girls of our group. Josh and Jillian stared at the ground, occasionally making eye contact, probably something about Josh lying to Jillian. Shit moves fast in San Newark. Alicia and Zach stand next to each other, unaware of what to do. Garrett meandered out of the gymnasium, while Alexis quickly followed, presumably hitting the showers.

"I'm gonna head to the locker room, you coming with?" Alicia wipes her forehead with a towel, asking her sister to get cleaned up too. As the pair walk back, Ben fails to get Kirah's attention. I hydrate myself with some water as more people leave the gym. Ben looked defeated. The rest of the gang remained silent, while I began accepting Jared and Persephone's relationship. I place my hand on Ben's shoulder.

"You okay?" I ask. He opens his mouth but doesn't speak. Probably still in shock that I would start a conversation with him. He looks somewhat exhausted, and a little mad.

"Yeah, I'm good," He mumbles. There was still an awkward silence between us all, only the janitor cleaning up the stands and some basketballs bouncing.

"Just came to support the girls," He giggles a little after as if he didn't mean it, but why would he be joking. Of course, he'd be here, for Alicia, and Kirah. Afterwards, he looks at me worried, probably recalling what I have against Kirah.

"You sure you aren't here to support just one girl?" Shit. I shouldn't have said that. Why would I say that? At a time like this, it wasn't right for me to be so petty again. Ben just stares at me, then looks at the ground, smiling.

"I'm sorry, okay? Yeah, sure, it doesn't mean much coming from me. Maybe just to you, but for what it's worth, I'm sorry." Ben was never really genuine. You could tell by the way he sounded, but this time, it felt like he was pleading for my forgiveness. Sincerely apologising.

"Okay, okay, it's all good. Don't worry." I accept his apology. The smirk on his face just brought back memories of when we were happy together.

"Hey, ready to go?" Melanie swiftly returns from her shower to bring Ben out for a date, I presume. I scan the hall to see the remainder of people still here, depressing me. They were all in pairs. As if they were all coupled up. I was the only one who was alone.

I return to the girls' locker room, rushing to leave and having a few conversations as possible. Arms crossed and head down, I drag my heavy duffel bag out of school, where Persephone and I would wait for my dad to bring us home.

"Where the fuck is dad?" Persephone complains, continuing to text on her phone. We both stand at the pick-up/drop-off point, uncomfortable. Tired. Sleepy, as my sister and I simultaneously yawn.

"Pazenzia, sorellina, he's nearing." I say. Persephone was younger than me, but easily more popular than me. Just something I never found important ever since I moved here. While waiting, someone grabs me and pulls me toward them. It's Garrett.