13

*Jillian's POV*

~~~ Present day, Junior Year, October 27, 2020 ~~~

It's been a little under a month since that useless gathering at Ben's house, where we all just ended up arguing. I've somehow reconnected with my old girlfriends, Sam, Lisa and even Melanie, a brand new San Newark student.

"You ready to go?" Melanie asks, as my friends all get in my car, waiting for me to drive off. Melanie had gotten off the wrong foot with us when she first moved here halfway through summer break, leading her to hang around with the Blue Bolts. After some incident, she's started hanging out with us again. This, in turn, had led to a little falling out between Alexis and me. Something about Sam, Lisa, and Alexis' boyfriend Vincent, drinking led to hooking up and I had to defend them, saying it was just a drunken mistake. Alexis wasn't too pleased, somehow forgiving Vincent and calling my friends sluts. But honestly, it was so not a drunken mistake. She is just way too whipped on Vincent.

"Yeah, sorry.  Just spaced out a bit there." I reply as I start the car.

"Oh, something on your mind?" Sam questions. As I drive out of school, I see Josh. He adjusts his hair as we make eye contact.

"Fuck!" I hit something with my car. Mordecai rises from the ground.

"Look where you're driving, will you? Fuck's sake." He complains.

"Who the fuck cycles to and out of school? Can't you drive? Aren't you rich?" Melanie replies with some questions.

"Fuck off, Melanie." Mordecai dusts his bicycle off and leaves. Melanie flicks him off as he rides out of school. He responds with a middle finger too.

"You okay?" Sam asks me. My hands grip the steering wheel of my car tighter and tighter as more people begin staring at the commotion.

"Yup." I reluctantly adhere to my friends' wishes to come over to my house and leave school. I look back once more like Josh and I share an intense exchange of looks.

We eventually reach my house. My friends get out of the car.

"So what're your thoughts on Calvin's disappearance?" Lisa asks.

"Honestly, if he's alive still, it's a miracle," Sam responds, Lisa and I both nod in agreement.

"What makes you say that?" Melanie hastily butts in the discussion.

"Well, he disappeared the night of the final, so..." Lisa says.

"So?" We were all confused at her sudden faith in Calvin's survival.

"You three really think the school and police give a shit about missing students? Dead or alive, it doesn't even matter." Melanie goes on.

"Mel, are you okay?" Sam reluctantly asks her.

~~~ Future, Junior Year, 2021 ~~~

"We have something to show you, Jillian." Officer Standish hands me a picture and I lean towards the table.

"Do you know who this is?" I shake my head.

"I mean, yes. That's Melanie Valentine, she goes to San Newark." I inform her.

"Well, she's been missing for one week now." She tells me.

~~~ Present day ~~~

"Can we not talk about this anymore?" I demand. The three of them look startled.

"You know what? You need a distraction." Sam places both her hands on my shoulders.

"Kevin Sanders is having a Halloween party this Saturday. Go with us!" Lisa nods excitedly. Melanie tries to distract herself, ignoring the girls' pleas about the party.