Chapter Nine

9.

“Rowan, I don’t know what to say.” Harry said as I smiled at him as he opened up my present.

“Well tell her thank you! That’s beautiful Rowan!” Hermione awed as she looked at the drawing of Hedwig I had given Harry for his birthday. I scratched the back of my head.

“Well I mean I heard you had an owl and something recently happened to her, and then with me coming in and you not knowing who I was. And you’re running from the Dark Lord and well I just thought you should have a nice drawing of your owl.” I replied awkwardly as Harry smiled at me and I noticed his eyes seemed to smile as well through the glasses.

“Thank you.” I nodded my head as I went outside while everyone else gave Harry his presents. Dobby was sitting outside with me when Fred and George decided to take a seat next to me by the pond.

“So we’ve come to a determination.” George started.

“We’re going to take you to the joke shop after the wedding.” Fred replied as I looked at both of them with wide eyes.

“What? Really?!” My eyes felt like they were shining with excitement. Last night they had told me that it wasn’t really safe for squibs or muggle-bornes to be around the Wizarding world and then when Molly found out she basically forbid Fred and George from taking me in order to keep me safe. “What changed your guys’ minds? I thought it was unsafe?”

“That’s exactly why we’re taking you!” Fred announced with a grin.

“Fred and I do not quiver at unsafe things.”

“And since mum said you shouldn’t go, it’s obvious that you have to go mouse.” Fred replied with a smirk as he rubbed my head. I tried to smack his hand away but missed. I was smiling from ear to ear.

“Thank you both so much!” I turned around and pulled them both in a hug, which was fairly hard to do. “I’ve heard so much about the joke shop! I can’t believe you guys will actually take me!” They both smiled down at me, one of the most genuinely sweet smiles I’ve seen them have. They must love making their fans happy. “Oh my gosh! I have to tell Lily—“

I stopped cheering as I immediately realized what I had said. Lily, my best friend. I couldn’t tell her. She was still in the real world. “Who’s Lily?” Fred asked curiously as they both looked at me.

I gave a meek smile. “She’s my best friend… we got separated when my friend took me from my house. I haven’t seen or heard from her since that night.”

“Well is she a witch? Maybe she can meet us at the joke shop or you can send her a letter!” George suggested with a smile.

“Unfortunately, she’s a muggle. She doesn’t really know anything about this world like I did. She… probably thinks I’m dead.” I replied starting to feel a tight squeeze in my chest. I forgot how much I missed her, she was like the only family I had. Dobby crawling into my lap, purring as he sensed I was getting sad.