Chapter Eight

8.

“Ah!” I screamed as a card exploded in front of me. Fred and George started laughing as I glared at them. “This is not a fun game.” Fred and George had started teaching me how to play an easy version with exploding snap cards. However, it was much harder to play when I didn’t have a wand and I was just trying to avoid an explosion that would singe off my eyebrows like they did to Ron in one of the books. It was a lot more fun to read about the game and imagine it then to actually play it.

“That’s because mouse you keep losing.” Fred responded with a cheeky smirk as I glared at him and his new nickname of me. He’s started calling me mouse since the Potter event and I did not understand why. I did not look like a mouse.

“Ro you’ve got to up your game.” George continued as he shook his head disappointment at me.

“Or I should just stop playing. This is obviously an unfair game because I’m a squib and you guys are wizards and have wands.”

“Perhaps—“ Fred started.

“Or maybe your skills are bullocks.”

I glared at George, usually he was the nice twin but when it came to games I’ve noticed he’s rather competitive and mean. Before I could retort with a comeback I heard Mrs. Weasley yell from the downstairs, “FRED! GEORGE! COME DOWN HERE THIS INSTANT AND GET RID OF THE GNOMES BEFORE THE DELACOURS ARRIVE!”

Fred and George cringed as they groaned outwardly, throwing down their stack of cards a couple of them exploding as Dobby and I jumped slightly. I really did not like this game. Fred and George snickered at my jump, “’fraid they’re going to snap on you, mouse?”

“Of course! Any sane person would be!” I picked up Dobby as I followed the twins out the door. “I hope you two get bitten by gnomes.”

Fred and George both feigned hurt as they looked down at me. “Ro, we’re hurt you would say such a ghastly thing.”

“And we thought you were our friend.”

“Tsk, tsk, tsk.” George finished as he even had the audacity to finger wag at me. I rolled my eyes and smiled. They were so overdramatic, but I loved it.

“FRED! GEORGE!” I heard Mrs. Weasley scream again as Fred and George groaned again.

“You two better scurry along before Mrs. Weasley turns you into gnome food.” I replied with a smile as they immediately bolted down the stairs. I turned and went into the room I had been staying in, looking at the desk with all the parchment and ink splattered on the desk.

I’d been at the burrow for a couple days now, the Delacours were arriving today and tomorrow was Harry’s birthday. It was crazy to think I was in the Potter world for some time now and I haven’t completely lost my mind, a new goal for me. I patted myself on the back for not having a meltdown for some time now. Dobby jumped out of my arms, as I looked at all the parchment on the desk. Most of them were scratch designs of wands. I had been experimenting on trying to make one. I smiled at the recent on; it was half real and half drawing. Meaning half of it was sticking out of the paper as if it was a real wand and half of it was still on the parchment. “No idea how this happened, but closest one yet!” I grinned as I looked at Dobby who only stared at me unimpressed. “Come on Dobby, I’m just a beginner you can’t expect perfection the first time.”