Chapter Thirty One

Reader's POV:

"We have a 24 year old female with a possible head injury after falling down the stairs. She's lost some blood and was unconscious when she was found.. she's also 16 weeks pregnant.."

Bright, fluorescent lights blurred above me, contorting into unrecognisable shapes flickering as my eyes fluttered open and closed. A jarring pain circulated my entire body and I couldn't move, strapped down onto what, in my dazed state, I could only assume was a gurney as numerous people wheeled me down corridor after corridor.

My eyes frantically searched for Lana, tears formulating in the corners before trickling down the side of my face to join the blood that matted into my hairline. There were too many unfamiliar faces surrounding me, quickly increasing the panic that was bubbling up. I tried to talk but no words came out. Where is Lana?

A continuation of distant voices communicated with one another around me, discussing something about an MRI scan and.. an ultrasound. Their voices soon faded, as my consciousness drifted further and further away.

♡ ♡ ♡

"Hey sleepy head." Lana sniffed beside me and once I fully came to, my eyes met hers. My whole body ached, just the simple task of turning my head was proven to be quite the challenge and I winced when a sudden surge of intense pain shot through my head, drawing a quiet whimper from the back of my throat.

"You're ok," she whispered, more to herself than to me before adding; "The doctors said you just have a mild concussion and they're going to keep you in for a few days to monitor you."

I squeezed my eyes shut in hopes of easing some of the pain in my head. "Mild? I feel like I've been run over by a train." I joked, peeking at her through lidded eyes.

Lana's lips stretched out into a smile as she wiped away a few stray tears with the back of her hand. "At least you still have your sense of humour."

I tried a light chuckle but the movement made my insides throb and my hand immediately flew to my stomach as if a sudden vital piece of information had only just occurred to me. "The baby? Is the baby ok?" I choked out, my voice strained and distant as I searched my girlfriend's face for an answer to my question.

She didn't need to say anything, her eyes said it for her as they glistened with tears. I reluctantly tore my gaze away from her, blinking back my own tears as I stared up at the ceiling. As much as my heart broke for the loss of our baby, a fraction of me was relieved. It just wasn't meant to be.

Lana's hand sought out mine, her fingers tucked neatly into the palm of my hand as her thumb gently caressed the back of my hand. "I know it was Chris that did this.. a couple people said they saw you arguing in the stairwell."

"He got what he wanted." A bitter chuckle spilled from my lips as the scene played out in my head on an incessant loop. I may have hit my head but I remembered everything as clear as day.

"He isn't going to get away with this." Lana's tone was more assertive, stern but soft. If only I had of gone to the police months ago, none of this would have happened, Chris would be rotting behind bars like he deserves.

Suddenly, pulling me from my thoughts there was a gentle knock at the door before in walked a police officer. My eyes darted between the officer and Lana, brows furrowing in a questioning manner. Had Lana already told the police what happened? As in everything?