|Chapter Forty-One : The War And The Ultimate Queen|

I COULD FEEL MY BLOOD POUND WITH ADRENALINE as I whisked through the throngs of bodies fighting against each other.

The soldiers were confused. The loyal ones contemplating who among their own army were the traitors while the unfaithful ones plunging their daggers into their own comrades chests. People were dying because of not knowing who to attack.

To add to it, the hunters were lethal, cutting through people with their weapons like crumbling ants under their feet.

It was a mess.

I could see the rulers themselves being confused whether to trust the ones close to them or not.

Eleanor was in her huge white lycan form leading my army as I'd asked her to. Marilla was gathered around with her merfolks singing some sought of song that made the people trying to attack her, attack themselves instead. Their faces were so serene as if they enjoyed every bit of stabbing themselves to death. It might be some sort of siren song enchantment. I've heard how delirious one becomes when they listen to it.

Amidst the chaos, my gaze searches for Valerian only to find him a few yards away crowded by his own army trying to stab him.

For a fraction of a second, I see his eyes dull with sadness at the betrayal but soon those green irises flash to misty white. The ones hounding him fall to their knees, clutching their ears as they howl in pain.

I make them believe their worst nightmares were coming true.

I could remember his words that day from the library. It felt so long ago. To think it was barely a month back.

As Valerian compulses the men to keep them at a safe distance, I see a hunter stealthily make his way from behind.

My eyes narrow into slits as Pretty's own fury at someone trying to hurt our mate pulsates through my veins.

In a quick stride, I lurch forward and block the hunter's attack with my sword just before he can plunge his dagger into Val's backside. My claws jut out as I dig my other hand into the hunter's chest through all the blood and bones, squeezing the morsel inside. The hunters wide eyes snap to mine.

But all I do is give him a blank look, "Backstabbers are never the brave ones." And then I pull out his heart.

I turn around just in time as a warm hand grips my arm. The soldiers he'd been compulsing earlier lay dead on his feet as his frenzied eyes meet mine, "Kate, go back to your side. Get out of here."

"No." I say stubbornly pulling my arm out of his hold as I swing my sword to stab an approaching soldier, "I can fight."

Valerian pulls me to his side once he's done twisting the neck of another guard. Turning me so that I'm facing him,

"I know, love. Trust me, I know more than anyone how capable you are to end them. But your condition is not the best to fight. Please?" He holds my face tenderly, while his other hand grabs my bloodied ones.

My eyes soften as he wipes the blood on my hands over his shirt and brings it up to his lips, "Don't taint these hands yet. I need you to keep them and yourself safe. Just do this for me?" He kisses my fingers.

He doesn't need to say who, I get it. But he also has to know I can't let him fight this all by himself. I won't.

"Val, don't make me do this. I can't leave you alone here to fight them off." I retort equally gently.

"But-"

"Valerian!" My eyes widen as I try to push him out of the path from a hunter who was moving towards us in a terribly fast motion.