|Chapter Thirty-Two : Coronation|

The day of my coronation arrives sooner than later.

I find myself sitting in front of the huge vanity mirror of my room as the hairdressers braided the upper half of my hair into a crown hairstyle.

I was dressed in an ivory coloured off-shoulder ball gown that had intricate black thread work over it. My hands were gloved with the same material. A black diamond necklace replaces my wolf amulet, adorning my neck with it's glory.

Two days had passed since the incident that took place during the meeting. But I still couldn't get my head out of it.

Victor hadn't spoken a word to me. To my greatest relief, he hadn't said a word to Narcissa or Darwin either. That day, after seeing me and Valerian in a rather precarious position which given leader's sharp mind might've given him all the hint about how much I was going as per the plan to be against Valerian. My mind wanders to the words leader had spoken that day,

"You've already made me lose my daughter once, Valerian. Don't make me lose another one closest to her too." With that, the man who raised me had strided forward, helped me off the table and tugged me along with him while I had turned to look back at a shocked Valerian.

I'd never seen Valerian's face lose colour as such. When I was leaving, his eyes held terror in them as if Victor's words had just snapped him out of his daydream.

And since that day, he had stopped visiting at night to ask about the details of the plan too. I didn't want to think too much about it but I just couldn't help. Pretty kept whining in my head for her mate. And no matter how unbothered I tried to act, in the deepest shady corners of my heart, I couldn't disagree that I missed him too.

A knock on the door snaps me out of my thoughts. My eyes widen a bit in surprise as the maids let the person in.

"Leader?" I ask the moment he informs the maids to leave and tells them that he'll get the princess down to the throne room. They don't suspect anything. He's been my guard in disguise all these days afterall.

Victor just stares before shutting the door behind him and letting out a tired sigh. Not saying a word, he walks over to where I'm seated.

"Child, wear this." He holds out his palm where a small white talisman lies.

My eyes flicker to leader as I realise the material the talisman is made of, "Oak wood?"

He nods grabbing my hand and placing it in my palms, "Just hide it well on you so that no one can notice you're wearing it."

I stare at the wood in my hand, "Valerian can't compulse me." I say knowing well why he's handing me this.

"Valerian isn't the only one who can compulse, Kaitlyn." Victor's voice is stern making my attention go back to him.

"There's no other raven who would." I retort with a blank expression.

Victor's blazing maroon eyes meet mine, "You're so wrong."

"What-"

Before I can voice out my confusion, he cuts in, "I'm not a person who wishes to come in between two mates, Kaitlyn. I've had a mate myself and I know no force can stop the strong emotional bond you form with your mate. It's just that, I don't want you to end like Katherine." His voice is soft and considerate as though he really cares.

I listen with batted breath knowing he has so much more to say,

"While I don't blame Valerian for what happened then, I do know if I hadn't let my daughter associate with him from the beginning, I could've stopped what happened. For all I know, Katherine might be the one to kiss him. She loved him from a very young age. It was my fault. And I don't want to repeat that mistake." He says low enough for it to be a whisper but audible enough for my lycan hearing to pick up.