|Chapter Thirty-Seven : Make Your Choice|

-------------Kaitlyn-------------

The crescent moon shone overhead as Kane and I stood in the dreary confines of the cemetery, staring down at the grave that had just been filled with Darwin's body underneath all the mud.

Victor had stayed behind to clean up the mess in the castle before anyone notices it and contact the creed's ally witch Amanda to find a potion to conceal Valerian's scent off the baby.

Typically, babies inside their mother's womb don't have their own scent until the moment they're born. So they have the mixed scents of their parents on them till birth. Which was a true horror for us. Because as long as I didn't conceal it, I'll be walking around with Valerian's scent on me and the baby. And God forbid if Keith. . .let's not think about it.

The mission was to hide every trace of my killing Darwin from the face of earth before Keith came to know of it. So here we are, in the graveyard with the task completed.

I turn to Kane who'd been oddly silent the whole duration we'd dug the ground and buried Darwin's body.

It was very unlike Kane who spoke a lot. But then he'd just lost his brother.

At first he'd been so furious about my killing his brother but as I explained why I did what I did and he sensed the heartbeat and the scent on me, his anger fueled down considerably to something akin to sadness. He'd then defeatedly said that what's done was done and now we had to hide the body before Keith or Narcissa come to know of it.

The vampire court would come to know of their king's death eventually but for now, we had to delay the news from leaking as much as we can. And enough for us to get done with Keith once and for all. Coming back to present,

The vampire prince had a forlorn look on his face as he stared at his brother's grave, "The only condition I had while helping Valerian by spying on my brother was that he does not kill Darwin once he's caught. Valerian had accepted telling he'd keep Darwin in the dungeon instead. I might've hated my brother but I never wanted him dead, Kaitlyn." He whispered, his voice so low it was barely audible even for my lycan hearing to pick up.

I felt my heart shrivel at his words. At the stark loss coating them. It was the first time I'd seen Kane so sad and heartbroken and it made me feel guilty for what I'd done. But at the same time, I didn't regret it.

"I'm sorry." I say sincerely bringing my eyes upto the prince, "I had no choice."

"You could've held him captive, Kaitlyn. You didn't have to kill him." He says softly this time.

I lower my head to the deceased man's grave as I recollect his last words, "He could've escaped and tried to hurt my child. He could've told Keith. It was either him or my baby. I chose what was more precious to me. And I don't regret it. If you would've been in my place, you'd have done the same. Darwin isn't precious to me like he is to you, Kane. But my child is."

"I understand your position." Kane sighed nodding his head before looking up at the dark sky, "I always knew he'd be bringing his own doom with how hungry he had become for power. But somewhere, I had hope he'd change for the good. That he'd become the brother he used to be before I gave him the throne."

My heart suddenly aches for Kane. He really did love his brother. Too much than the unworthy man deserved.

"I'm sorry." I say again, my voice apologetic as I place a comforting hand over his shoulder.

Kane sighs, "I did say I understood why you did it, didn't I? I'm not going to back out from my words, Kit Kat." He passes me a small smile, "Besides, I think what you did wasn't wrong in your place either. Maybe this was how his end was meant to be."