| Chapter One : The Assassin |

▪︎ K a i t l y n W i n c h e s t e r▪︎

The first thing they teach us about being an assassin is to know how to keep your facial expression always neutral.

At any situation.

You could have a bomb attached to you and yet you had to act like everything was perfectly normal.

We were thought this through insects being placed upon all over our body. We had to maintain a straight face even if the insects bit or you had a phobia of them, whatsoever. The more you whimpered, cried or yelled, the more the count of insects thrown upon your skin. It was a hard training, really. But a worthy one for an assasin.

My training days flashes in front of my eyes as I maintain my face in a stoic expression while Mr. Fury (it's his pen name)-we assasins aren't allowed to call each other by our real names until and unless we're in the base-rants on about how I had failed to kill the king of Ancientriova five times.

Well, what's your problem? It isn't like you failed.

"Queen." My eyes snap to leader Victor at the mention of my pen name.

His charcoal eyes-a rarity among the ancient vampires, that he is-are trained on me from where he's seated at the head of the twenty-seater table.

"Yes, leader?" I ask, my tone calm as ever.

Rule no 1 : Never show your emotions. Not on face. Not in your voice. Not in your body language either.

And never ever fail to follow this rule in front of Leader Victor.

Even if you're scared shitless or want to grill a certain Mr. Fury, you ought to pretend that the world is all rainbows and unicorns.

"Do you think we should change our strategy this time?" Leader asks, his face a blank mask.

I imitate his expression, "Perhaps. Since the last five times-"

"You ought not mention it." He holds up his hand in a calm gesture.

I nod in a silent agreement.

Maybe it is because he had raised me up from a just born to an adult and took care of me for almost six centuries now but I had always looked upon Victor as a father figure.

He had personally trained me to be one of his best assasins. And yet, I had thrown his name in dust by failing repeatedly.

I just don't understand what happens to me whenever I show up in front of Valerian Kingston.

I want to kill him with every inch of my being and I'm this close to even doing it, but then there's this delusional whimper in the back of my mind that holds me back and results me in messing up again and again.

The Raven King. . .

I don't know what he's made of. Every single time I attacked, a new ability of his appeared out of nowhere and I was left defenseless against it. Then there was the strange feeling when I looked into his dark eyes. And the voice. . .

Only if I could shut down the damned voice, life would've been much easier.

"How about we act as his ally and attack this time?" Victor speaks gaining my attention.

"You mean, be in his troop of guards and gain his trust so we can strike at the right time?" I inquire, my face trying to prevent a frown.

Generally, leader wouldn't allow such blasphemy but I had failed far more times than any assasin in the creed.

Besides, it's not like assasins follow rules. You have a task and you get it done. By hook or by crook. There's no how or why. As simple as that.

"But leader, why not send someone else instead of her? I'm much capable than her too." Fury points his meek finger at me, his eyes accusing.