|Chapter Eight : Poisoning|

"Kaitlyn, the king's newly appointed guard." I shake my hand with Melissa's trying hard not to flinch at the high wave of power radiating of off her.

Her eyes glows brighter as she pulls her hand back. Just then, the king walks out of his chambers dressed in a velvet tunic the same colour as mine.

I try not to frown at the absurdity of it. It's just clothes. Don't fuss on it, Kate.

"Val, how are you?" Melissa flashes him a charming smile which has me looking between them in careful observation.

Do they have something going on-

"Oh lords, no!" Melissa laughs shaking her head at me and I bite back the embarrassment clawing at my veins realizing she can hear my thoughts.

How, I'm not aware. But I need to keep my mouth shut. More like, my brain shut.

"Mellisa." Valerian's sharp voice interrupts sparing me the humiliation of facing her.

"Always so uptight." She gives him a heavenwards look and swings a hand around Valerian's shoulder earning a blank look from him.

Mellisa rolls her eyes, "Fine. No touching." She raises her arms off him in mock surrender.

"What are you doing here?" He asks rudely.

Mellisa folds her hand above her chest in an intimidating manner, "I can be wherever I wish to be." She narrows her eyes before it turns into that lovely smile again.

"Let's have breakfast?" She suggests and this time Valerian doesn't bother to retort with something rude.

Maybe he can sense that crazy boost of energy too and thought it was better not to provoke her.

Minutes later, we're all seated at the dining table. Mellisa chats with Eleanor as if they've known each other for centuries while Valerian sits in silence just looking at the conversation, his face back to that blank mask. He's not even eating, just observing.

I notice him occasionally throwing food at the hound-a huge, lethal creature with razor sharp teeth and blood-red eyes from Helvon, the underworld-at his feet that barked every once in a while for more snack.

It's at times like these I wonder whether I've just imagined those changes in his voice. I've never seen his face hold any expression than a poker face but his voice. . . they change at times when we're not surrounded by anyone.

And that one time. . .

I will myself not to think about it, not with a person around who can hear my thoughts.

I focus my attention on Dante instead who's seated across me next to Mellisa, chugging his food with ease. He's really good at this. Facial expression, I mean.

Mellisa seems engrossed in a conversation with Eleanor about Marilla, the siren queen's whereabouts to bother about all the people around her's impending thoughts.

"I thought she'd be here. Since she's more present in this kingdom than her own." The brunette beauty chuckles taking a piece of brocolli into her mouth.

"She said that she has some matters to handle with Layla wreaking havoc in the undersea." Eleanor grabbed a glass of juice for herself.

"I see." Mellisa nods in deep thought.

"Truly Lisa, why are you here?" Valerian juts in breaking the queen and his apparent best friend's conversation.

Mellisa lifts her hand in exasperation, "Can't I visit my best friend without a reason?"

"That would imply if you didn't visit the said 'best friend' once in a century." He puts in still throwing the food at the hound.

"Fine, Mr. Know-it-all," Mellisa huffs before a beautiful smile stretches on her face making her glow even more if it's possible, "I found my mate."