Chapter Eighteen

I felt light headed, so light headed I had to leave the building.

I followed a hidden stairway up towards the roof, the chilly nights air sending goosebumps over my skin.

I walked over to the edge, grabbing the railing and looking down towards the busy street below.

"You okay?" A voice said from behind me, making me jump at the sound.

Kye stood beside me, his hair being lightly tossed around in the breeze, the moonlight shining on the right side of his face and the street lights on the other.

"Yeah-" I said, removing my eyes from him and looking down underneath, "I'm fine."

"You don't look fine," he said. "You're pale and you've been freaking out ever since we got here."

He grabbed onto the railing also, following my gaze toward a group of people below.

I took a deep breath, licking my dry lips. "I'm scared." I whispered.

He didn't answer me, and he followed the passing car, the music blaring from its windows.

"Me too," he whispered back.

He then turned to me, placing a hand on mine that was on the railing.

"Everything will work out," he said, watching me closely. "They will understand."

I nodded my head, biting my bottom lip as I looked back towards the night sky.

A warm hand on my cheek made me turn back to him.

"I'm sorry about tonight," he started, watching as I let go of my lip. "But you know it had to be done- people had to believe us."

"I know," I said, sucking in a deep breath when his thumb started to move across my cheek.

He pulled away, clearing his throat and stepping back.

He adjusted his suit jacket once more and looked back at the door.

"We should get back," he said, running his hand through his hair.

I nodded my head, wiping my hands on my dress.

When I looked up his hand was stretched out toward me, his fingers reaching for mine.

I didn't hesitate when I allowed him to grab my hand, intertwining our fingers together.

"Just a few more hours," he said to me as we walked down. "Just a few more hours then we'll go home."

✥ ✥ ✥

The rest of the night was the same, Kye's arm wrapped around my waist as we travelled over to different people, all of them congratulating us.

My feet were starting to hurt badly, enough to make me wince with every step.

And when Kye turned to me, eyeing at my limping figure, he said his goodbyes, leading me out of the room.

"I thought we were going to stay longer?" I said, making my way down the steps.

The sudden ripple at my dress made me slip with my heel, my body tumbling to the ground.

Kye swiftly caught me, pulling me tight against his body so I wouldn't fall any further.

I looked up to thank him, his face inches away from mine, and I swore our lips touched.

His hand rested at my lower waist, keeping me steady on the steep step.

"Thank you," I whispered, my bottom lip slightly brushing against his.

I quickly pulled away, adjusting myself.

"You're welcome," he said, helping me walk down further.

The sounds of heels clicking in the distance and a deep voice made us stop.

"Aliyah!" I heard my sister slur, her arm wrapped around a man I've never seen before.

"And Kye," she winked at him, and his grip only got tighter on my body.

"I've missed you," she pouted, eyeing my dress up and down.

"Wow, I never knew you could actually look pretty," she scoffed.

"I don't have time for this Claudia, just go back home." I said. "Dad probably has another credit card for you," I continued on, rolling my eyes.

She stormed up to me, her tone quickly switching.

"It was supposed to be me that took over the mafia, who was supposed to marry Kye." She gritted out, the alcohol so strong on her breath I almost got drunk from it.

"You are not better than me, you are just a pathetic slut."

The click of a gun made her freeze, her eyes lightly widening as she looked at Kye, his gun pressed directly onto her head.

"Say that one more time," he spat, his finger inching toward the trigger.

"Say that one more fucking time," he repeated, his eyes watching her gulp in fear.

"I-I'm sorry," she stuttered, quickly darting her eyes to look over at me.

"Don't look at her," he said, "you don't deserve to look at her."

I felt my breath hitch at his words, and I felt my hand itching for his again.

"You don't deserve her as a sister, you don't even deserve to be talking to her right now," he started.

"She was meant to lead this mafia, she was meant to marry me, so back the fuck off."

She frantically nodded her head, her body visibly shaking in fear, for she knew Kye wouldn't take her mercy.

"Now I want you to look at her one last time, and tell her how much of a bitch you are."

She nodded again and looked down, her lip trembling as she said her next words.

"I'm a bitch," she whispered.

He clocked the gun, making both of us freeze.

"Let's try that again. Look at Aliyah and tell her how you're a fucking bitch."

Her eyes finally met mine, her fists clenching at her sides as she stared at me.

"I'm a bitch," she muttered again.

"Louder," Kye hissed out.

"I'm a fucking bitch!" She said loudly, the tears starting to slip from her eyes.

I glanced at Kye, who's face was filled with a wicked smile.

"Excellent," he said, taking the gun away from her head.

The guy next to her scoffed, his arm grabbing Claudia's once more.

No one had time to react when Kye shot the man in the head, his body slumping against Claudias who screamed.

"That will teach you not to fuck with the leaders of this mafia," he spat out, wiping the blood of the man off his face.

"Aliyah let's go," he said, walking away from them.

I quickly trailed behind, attempting to wipe the blood off of my body.

Once we sat in the car, he passed over a napkin, allowing me to clean off the mans blood.

"You didn't have to do that for me," I said after the driver started driving, Kye's attention focused on the city lights in the front window.

"I needed to teach her a lesson," he said shortly, "no one should talk to you like that."

I didn't say anything else as we were driven home, and then leaving the car, and then entering the house.

We didn't say anything when we both got changed in the room, then brushing our teeth's and taking turns showering in the bathroom.

The only words that slipped out our mouths was when we got into bed, the lamp light switching off as we pulled the blankets over us.

"Goodnight," we both said, before drifting off to sleep.