Chapter Ten

"So Aliyah tell me, how has your training been?" I heard Kye's father ask, who I knew now as Todd.

"Hard," I started, "but rewarding."

He smiled at me, nodding as I spoke to him.

"I know when I become leader one day, it will pay off." I continued.

"And Claudia," he said, turning towards where my sister sat, gawking at all three brothers in front of her. "Is there any reason why you didn't want to take the capo position?"

She snapped out of her thoughts when I kicked her leg from underneath the table.

"Well um-" she stumbled, and I could feel my fathers dark gaze on her, burning through the table.

"It wasn't meant for me, I mean- Aliyah is just so good at that stuff and um-" she stumbled again, her eyes frantically looking at mine.

"What she's trying to say sir, is that she enjoys other things than dealing with drugs and killing, she much prefers shopping."

I finished for her, and my father and her eyes were on me, embarrassment from her and anger from him.

Todd let out a chuckle, and put down his fork. "Please dear, call me Todd."

I smiled back and nodded, my jaw hurting from the fakeness in my expression.

"Of course .. Todd."

My mother cleared her throat, looking towards where Kye sat, his body leaned back against the chair.

"You two have been getting close after all these years, hm?" She asked.

I took a deep breath, and watched as Kye smiled wide.

"Well, we still have our differences. But-" he turned to me, "we do make a good team."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes, and instead I tried to smile to my mother.

"We tried our best this mission mother," I told her.

"Well it's good you guys are getting along, for-"

"Not now Cora," my father interrupted, and she slumped back in her seat.

I took this chance to look over at Kye's brothers, who I remember as Dominic and Alexander.

Their faces were stern as the leaned back in their chairs, much like Kye's stance.

Alex seemed to have more of a cheerful face, while Dominic looked unimpressed, and bored.

And when I looked back at my sister, she was gawking at Kye, who was laughing at what my father had just told him.

I felt my breath hitch when he leaned forward, his thigh slightly touching my bare one.

"That would be wonderful," I heard Kye's mother say, smiling widely, "after our long trip we could use some rest."

"Excellent, we'll get the rooms ready." My father boomed.

"Aliyah sweetie, why don't you show Kye to his room."

I snapped out of my thoughts, turning to where my father now stood.

"What?" I asked abruptly.

"Show Kye to his room Aliyah, the Santiago's are staying the night."

"Oh-" I said shortly, confusion on my face.

Kye stood up beside me, slightly nudging me to lead the way.

"Follow me," I said quietly, confusion on my face as to why they had to stay the night, and not at a hotel.

We walked quietly up the stairs, and then down the hallway.

"Here," I said to him, opening up a guest room door, "if you need anything I'm just down the hall."

I saw the shock on his face, and I knew it was because he wasn't used to me being nice.

Honestly, I was shocked at how close my father has become with his family, and I'm too tired to argue.

I felt his cold hand grab my arm stopping me from walking out the door.

"Look I know this is weird, trust me this is all new for me too, but I'm sorry you have to go through this."

I tilted my head in confusion, "why are you sorry? This isn't your fault."

He let go of my arm, and looked down at the ground, "yeah but- you seem upset and my family caused this."

"Kye stop, you're speaking nonsense, I'm fine."
I told him, watching as he sat down on the bed, his head in his hands.

"Goodnight," I whispered, walking towards the door.

When I shut it, I didn't miss the words he whispered on the other side.

"Goodnight Aliyah."