Chapter 17

TW: none

Footprints of two people walking next to each other stained the thick layer of snow, marking a big part of the road. Their visions were now more extended as the big snowflakes had been replaced with smaller and less annoying ones. Dark clouds were still replacing the entire blue sky, stretching out further than he could see. The smaller boy next to him was admiring every aspect of the outside world as he didn't come here very often. He and Tommy mostly stayed inside for safety, finding enough to do in their cramped living room. In the distance, his house was popping up above the trees as they soon reached the big open field, where none of the flowers were still visible above the snow. Dream inhaled the fresh and cooling air, enjoying every moment of it. It was such a shame summer even existed, why do humans even like things like going into dirty water lakes in their ugly underwear? It seemed to him the least entertaining thing to do in your life. He smiled as Tubbo raced forward, jumping and laughing as he was throwing snow in the air and rolling through it like a 5-year-old child. He wished he could find something like that one day, a thing or person that could make him laugh like that again. Sure, he and Sapnap laughed all the time, but genuine happiness like this wasn't something he'd felt in a long time.

Or maybe he simply didn't deserve it.

Once the two of them were inside, Dream sent the brunet straight to the shower as his hair and clothes were drenched in snow and dirt. Not much time later, Sapnap and Karl showed up from the kitchen, both wearing stupidly large matching hoodies. The blond raised his eyebrows at the stupid sight, resting his head on his hands. A smell he hadn't perceived in a very long time filled his nose.

Warm cookies.

He remembered how much he had loved them before his time as a vampire, he could quite literally eat as much of them as he wanted. A bowl with chocolate chip cookies was placed in the middle of the table in front of him by Karl, who was looking at them with a proud smile plastered on his face.

'You know we can't eat them, right?' Sapnap gave him an irritated look as the boy's face fell.

'Don't be rude Dream, don't they look fantastic?' He didn't respond, exhaling in annoyance. When did his friend become such a simp for a human? It wasn't like he wouldn't expect it from him, but this was making him want to gag.

As Sapnap took a cookie, he sighed at the dumb action.

'I'm not saving you from suffocating again. I'll just laugh at you.' His friend groaned as he offered the forbidden food to Karl, who gladly took a bite of it.

Alright, maybe, just maybe, a little bit of jealousy crept its way up to him when he saw the human take a bite of the indeed delicious-looking food, but he was fast to shrug it off. There was nothing to be jealous of, he was much better than him anyway, in every aspect.

'Did you do anything useful when I was away or did you just bake useless cookies?'

'Geez man, what made you so moody?'

'You guys acting like two blind and disgustingly in love middle-schoolers.' Sapnap gave him a dirty look as he threw his empty glass at him. Without putting in too much effort, he dodged it as it shattered against the wall behind him. This only appeared to piss off his friend even more, and give him the satisfaction he needed.

'I hate you.' Dream didn't respond, just smiled at him victoriously. Just as the brunet was about to pick up Karl's glass to sweep it his way again, Tubbo came walking through the large wooden door, carrying a black and soft-looking coat.

'Are we going?' Dream offered him a small smile as he led both of them to the exit.

'Wait,' Sapnap interrupted them, furrowing his eyebrows, 'you're taking Tubbo? Are you out of your mind?'